BEML LIMITED has today flagged off the last trainset for Kolkata Metro (East – West) project from its Metro coach factory at Bangalore Complex.
Shri Deepak Kumar Hota, Chairman & Managing Director BEML has flagged-off the metro train set in the presence of Company Directors and other senior officials of BEML & KMRCL.
BEML secured the contract for 14 train sets (6cars each),valued at apprx. 900 crores from Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation.
They independently completed the design, manufacturing activities and the delivery of the proto type train set was done during March 2018, which was subjected to extensive testing and trials on KMRC mainline including statutory testing by RDSO & CRS and cleared all the tests. Subsequently, BEML built KMRC trainsets were put to revenue operation since February 2020 and are operating satisfactorily. Further, 6 train sets are ready for deployment in revenue operation.
The revenue service was inaugurated by Hon’ble Minister of Railways & Commerce, Shri Piyush Goyal in presence of Shri Babul Supriyo, Union Minister of State for Environment. Forest & Climate change on 13th Feb.2020 at Kolkata. While taking a ride in the metro car the Hon’ble Minister lauded BEML for introducing a world class metro car to the ‘City of joy’!
Some of the key features of the train sets include:
- Stainless Steel car body furnished with world class interiors and customized air conditioning suiting local requirements.
- Bogie for 750V DC Third Rail application is designed & developed by BEML for the first time.
- IGBT based microprocessor controlled 3 phase asynchronous drive with VVVF (Variable Voltage Variable Frequency) control and regenerative braking for energy saving.
- Train sets operate with ATP / ATO and is interfaced with CBTC signalling system (which is one of the best and latest technologies in the world) to reduce headway, ensure train stopping accuracy and passenger safety.
- Passenger capacity of 2068 persons per train set
- Energy efficient LED lights
- Automatic audio-visual announcement and display system for passengers
Speaking on the occasion Shri Deepak Kumar Hota, CMD BEML said, “We are on track, as we despatched the last of the 14 trainsets for Kolkata Metro (East – West) project for KMRCL. We have proved our capabilities and expertise in supply of Metro coaches. An epitome of successful ‘Make in India’ initiative in the rolling stock industry.”
The delivery of the last train set to Kolkata metro has added one more feather in its already decorated cap, as it re-dedicates itself to the cause of self- reliance, as part of the Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, which is recently announced by the Hon’ble Prime Minister contributing to Nation’s pride.
Be the first to comment