The Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has invited EOI for Partnering with BHEL on Design, Development, Manufacture, Testing and Commissioning of Propulsion System (Traction Converter, Auxiliary Converter and TCMS), for Semi High Speed Train Sets (Train 18) of 160 Kmph.
- This Expression of Interest (EoI) seeks response from Design Consultants/Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEMs) who are involved in designing or have past experience in designing or manufacturing of Propulsion System (Traction Converter, Auxiliary Converter and TCMS) of Semi High Speed Train Sets.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) is a Central Public Sector Enterprise, wherein Government of India is holding 63.06% of its equity. It is an integrated power plant equipment manufacturer and one of the largest engineering and manufacturing companies of its kind in India having a turnover of about USD 5 billion.
- The company is engaged in the design, engineering, manufacture, construction, testing, commissioning and servicing of a wide range of products and services for the core sectors of the economy, viz. Power, Transmission, Industry, Transportation, Renewable Energy, Oil & Gas and Defence with over 180 product offerings to meet the needs of these sectors.
- Since its inception in 1964, BHEL has been the solid bedrock of evolution of India’s Heavy Electrical Equipment industry.
- The high level of quality & reliability of BHEL products is a testimony to its adherence to international standards by acquiring and adapting some of the best technologies from leading companies in the world including General Electric, Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. etc., together with technologies developed in its own R&D centres. BHEL invests more than 2.5% of turnover on R&D and innovation.
- BHEL has been designing and manufacturing rolling stock for rail and urban transportation. BHEL has also been manufacturing Motors, Power electronics and Controllers for various transportation applications at its various factories. BHEL also has a Battery Packaging facility for space applications.
- In the transportation sector, BHEL is into the manufacture of complete electric and diesel electric locomotives and electrical assemblies/components including traction motors, traction transformers, power & auxiliary converters and controls, gear wheels etc.
- At Jhansi plant, they manufacture complete Electric Locomotives upto 6000 HP rating for mainline application of Indian Railways, Diesel Electric Locomotives from 350 HP to 3100 HP rating. Till date, they have supplied more than 370 nos. of main line electric locomotives Indian Railways and more than 250 nos. of diesel electric locomotives for shunting operations to different industries.
- They are currently executing an order for manufacture of a complete Electric Locomotive of 6000 HP. Their Jhansi plant has an installed capacity of 75 nos. locomotives per year.
- At Jhansi, they have complete state-of-the-art facilities for manufacturing, fabrication and testing of bogies, loco shells, under frames and other mechanical components of locomotives. They have recently developed India’s first state-of-the-art WAG7 Electric Locomotive with regenerative capabilities.
- They have also developed India’s first Traction Motor for 9000 HP Electric Locomotives.
- At Bhopal and Bengaluru plants, among electrical propulsion equipment, they manufacture and supply traction motors, traction transformers, power converters (IGBT/GTO) & controls, auxiliary converters (IGBT/GTO) and vehicle control units for electric locomotives, diesel electric locomotives, EMUs, DEMUs & and metros trains of Indian Railways.
- Their manufacturing range includes conventional DC drive, IGBT based 3-Phase drive equipment upto 6000 HP rating. BHEL has also been in the forefront of providing maintenance and spares/replacement support to Indian Railways for their locomotive fleet. They have a full-fledged service department located at major centers in the country.
- BHEL is a regular supplier of traction propulsion equipment to Indian Railways’ production units for manufacturing of EMUs by them.
- Indian Railway is on a rapid expansion and modernisation drive for its rolling stock to increase the average speed of operations and to enhance safety and comfort of passengers. In this regard they intend to switchover from existing EMU Stock having operation speed potential of 120 KMPH to EMU / Train Sets having operational speed of 160 KMPH.
- Indian Railways has floated tender no: 08210075 for Design, Development, Manufacture, Supply, Integration, Testing and Commissioning of IGBT based 3-phase propulsion, control and other equipment for train sets suitable for operation on 25 KV AC OHE system conforming to RDSO specification No. RDSO/PE/SPEC/EMU/0196-2019(Rev.0) along with addendum/corrigendum including CMAC for 58Rakes with quantity distribution tentatively as 30nos. of 16 car rakes for ICF, 14nos. of 16 car RAKES for MCF and 14nos. of 16 car rakes for RCF. Additional spares are applicable as per ICF NIT/ Tender No. 08210075. All tender documents are uploaded on the IREPS website.
- The intent of this Expression of Interesthereinafter referred to as the “EOI” is to invite applications from interested organizations / companies who are willing to Partner on prebid basis with BHEL for identified scope of bidder for execution of contracts for the above mentioned Train Sets. The scope of partnership for the EOI is as below:
|S.N.||Item||Scope of Partnership|
|1.||Traction Converter (TC) and Auxiliary Converter (AC) with battery charger||Design, development, manufacture, testing and commissioning of Traction Converter (TC) and Auxiliary Converter (AC) with battery charger. Detailed scope to be finalised in partnership agreement.
Bidder to provide Design parameters / characteristics for BHEL to design and manufacture the Traction Motor.
|2.||Train Control and Management System (TCMS)||Design, development, testing and commissioning of TCMS Hardware, software and interface/ integration of TCMS with propulsion system and with other subsystems viz., Brakes, Doors, HVAC, PAPIS, CCTV, etc. Detailed scope to be finalised in partnership agreement.|
- Interested organizations / companies/parties may submit their proposal for either Sl.no. 1 or 2 orboth.In case Sl no 1 or 2 only quoted, bidder shall extend technical support to integrate and to complete the interface engineering of other bidder. In case no quote received for sl no 1 the quote received for sl no 2 is liable to be rejected and vice versa.
- BHEL shall select suitable partner(s) who meet Pre-Qualification Criteria (PQR)/ Annexure-2 for the intended business tie-up and shall enter into exclusive Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) Pre-bid tie-up with selected partner(s) as per agreed business association.
- The chosen partner(s) shall also be required to enter into mutually exclusive pre-bid tie up arrangement with BHEL to provide due support for fulfilling the contractual obligations of BHEL to the customer i.e. Indian Railways.
- Preference shall be given to the bidders who are willing for consortium bidding as per the tender requirements. Also the selected bidder, after entering into a mutually exclusive agreement with BHEL, cannot quote directly or enter into any kind of joint arrangement with any other party for the above mentioned Train Sets tender.
- Equipment design, Manufacturing /sourcing of all other items of Tender (Motor, Transformer and rest of the equipment), other than Sl. No. 3.4are in BHEL’s scope. However, system engineering including basic engineering inputs for other associated equipment shall be by bidder.
- In case the bidder proposes a split of supply for TCMS/ TC/ AC between BHEL and the bidder, a corresponding Business Proposal model (Engineering package comprising of Design, Manufacturing Information & Software / Business Sharing Agreement) also need to be indicated. BHEL has manufacturing facilities to manufacture all equipment covered in this EOI document.
In case any amendment/ corrigendum is issued to this EoI, it shall be notified only at http://www.bhel.com.
Source: BHEL-Tender | Image Credit (representational): ICF