One of the key areas of South Eastern Railway (SER) is provision of more amenities for the passengers and this railway has been taking major steps in this regard. As a part of station development work with a view to ensure comfortable and safe journey of the passengers, emphasis is being given on raising and extension of the platforms, development of circulating areas, provision of new foot over bridges etc.
- In the Budget of 2021-22, a sum of Rs.173.37 crore has been allotted for Passenger Amenity Works in SER which is 58% more than revised grant of 2020-21.
- With a view to ensure safety and to ease the movement of the commuters, New Foot Over Bridges have been completed at six stations over SER jurisdiction viz. Bowaichandi, Bishnupur, Talgoria, Bhowrah, Chakulia and Soro during this financial year (2020-21). Construction work of four more Foot Over Bridges is in progress and nearing completion.
- During the current financial year up to January 2021, Platform Raising works have been completed at 11 stations viz. Sardiha, Kalaikunda, Ranchi, Chakradharpur, Lakhannath Road, Panpali etc. under the jurisdiction of South Eastern Railway.
- The platform raising work is going on in full swing at four more stations of SER.
- Apart from above, Platform Surfacing work has also been completed at seven stations viz. Kharagpur, Jharsuguda, Soro etc. in SER jurisdiction and work at another five stations is in its final stage.
- Moreover, Circulating Area Development work has been completed at Kharagpur Station, Platform Extension work has been completed at Lakhannath Road Station and Platform Shelter work has been done at Damodar and Muradih stations during this financial year.
Electrification work of Bankura-Masagram Section in Adra Division of South Eastern Railway has been completed and Commissioner of Railway Safety, South Eastern Circle inspected the electrification work from Sonamukhi to Masagram 10th February, 2021 for necessary safety clearance.
- A speed trial was also conducted in Sonamukhi-Masagram Section 10th February, 2021.
- Inspection by Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS) in Bankura-Sonamukhi section has already been done on 18.07.2020 & CRS authorization has been obtained on 20.07.2020.
- The total length of the electrification project from Bankura to Masagram is 118 KM sanctioned in the year 2018-19 and the estimated cost is Rs.106.45 crore. Electrification of the entire section from Bankura to Masagram will help to induct electric train services in this route.
- There are altogether 30 stations including passenger halts in this section.
- This Narrow Gauge Section previously known as Bankura-Damodar Railway (BDR) was converted into Broad Gauge and the gauge conversion work has been completed in a phased manner.
- The completion of the total electrification work from Bankura to Masagram will help to establish seamless train operation in this section.
- It will also ensure better connectivity and punctuality in service by providing energy efficient and pollution free transportation with zero emission.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Eastern Railway