The Government of India on Monday has approved implementation of the Bangalore Metro Rail Project, Phase 2A & 2B which comprises two corridors of a total length of 58.19 kms, (i) Phase 2A from Central Silk Board Junction to K.R. Puram of length 19.75 kms and (ii) Phase 2B from K.R. Puram to Airport via Hebbal Junction of length 38.44 kms, at a total Completion cost of Rs. 14,788.1 crores.
- The project will be completed in 05 years from the date of sanction.
- Meanwhile, Reach-2 Extension Line under Phase-2 of the Bangalore Metro Rail project between Mysore Road to Kengeri having a total length of 7.53 km is scheduled for commercial operation in July 2021.
- The estimated Cost of this extension is Rs 1560 Crores and the land cost is Rs 360 Crores.
- This is an extension to the operational East- West Corridor (Purple line) of length 18.1 kms.
- This Elevated Section has 6 Stations, namely
- Rajarajeshwari Nagar
- Kengeri Bus Terminal
- On this Section, parking facility is provided at Nayandahalli, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Jnanabharathi and two level parking at Kengeri Bus Terminal, with bus bay at both sides of the Station.
- Apart from this, all the metro stations can be used for road crossing by the public, except at Kengeri Bus Terminal Station which is located off road and construction of FOB connecting to adjacent BMTC Bus Depot and crossing the road is being provided later.
- The maximum fare for travelling from Baiyappanahalli to Kengeri would be Rs.56/- and Kengeri to Silk Institute, which is longest stretch. would be Rs. 60/-.
- With commissioning of this section, ridership on this Section is expected to be @ 75000 passengers per day.
- The Automatic Fare Collection System in this Extension Line has been established for enabling the usage of One Nation One Card i.e. National Common Mobility Card and OR System.
- Train testing after integration and migration of Signalling System from existing Section to new Section have been completed.
- Each station roof top is designed for installation of solar power of 250 Kw Capacity.
- Each Station is provided with 8 escalators and 4 elevators (Kengeri Bus terminal will have 6 elevators and 6 escalators).
- The extension from Kengeri to Challagatta is under progress and likely to be completed by this year-end which was sanctioned later.
Meanwhile, the BMRCL recently awarded Contracts for Construction of elevated viaduct from Central Silk Board Junction to K R puram & upto Baiyappanahalli Depot including 13 Elevated Stations [excluding Architectural Finishing of Stations], including Road widening, Utility diversion & other allied works of Bengaluru Metro Rail Project, Phase-2A. (Package 1 & 2)
- The Package-1 of award Value of Rs. 785.23 crores has been awarded to M/s Afcons Infrastructure Limited. The Completion Period of work is 30 Months.
- The Package-2 of award Value of Rs. 623.55 crores has been awarded to M/S Shankaranarayana Constructions Pvt Limited. The Completion Period of work is 30 Months.
In December 2019, the BMRCL had invited bids in two Contract packages for the construction of elevated section from Central Silk Board Junction to K R puram & upto Baiyappanahalli Depot including 13 Elevated Stations of Bengaluru Metro Rail Project, Phase-2A.
Source: BMRCL-Update | Image Credit (representational): BMRCL