Central Railway (CR) Transports 52.28 million tonnes of freight from 1st April 2020 to 15th February 2021. 25.80 million tonne coal loaded to ensure uninterrupted power supply in order to ensure uninterrupted supply of various commodities vital for the energy & infrastructure sector, Railways has maintained its goods trains fully functional in spite of the Covid-19 lockdown and unlock.
- Central Railway has transported 52.28 million tonnes of freight successfully in meeting the needs of various sectors from 1.4.2020 to 15.2.2021.
- Central Railway carried 25.80 million tonne coal to various power plants to ensure un-interrupted supply of electricity.
- Also carried 1.27million tonne food grains and sugar, 2.85 million tonne fertilizers and 0.5 million tonne onions for the benefit of farmers; 4.45 million tonne petroleum products; 1.59 million tonne iron and steel; 4.74 million tonne cement; 8.15 million tonne container wagons and 2.91 million tonne de-oiled cake and miscellaneous goods.
- Nagpur Division transported 28.08 million tonne, Mumbai Division 13.91 million tonne, Bhusaval Division 4.88 million tonne, Solapur Division 4.36 million tonne and Pune Division 1.03 million tonne freight.
On mission mode, Indian Railways’ Freight loading for the last few months have crossed last year’s loading and earnings for the same period. It is expected that cumulative freight loading will surpass last year’s freight loading figures.
- As per the statistics till yesterday for February, 2021, Indian Railways loading was 30.54 million tonnes which includes 13.61 million tonnes of coal, 4.15 million tonnes of iron ore, 1.04 million tonnes of foodgrains, 1.03 million tonnes of fertilizers, 0.96 million tonnes of mineral oil and 1.97 million tonnes of cement (excluding clinker).
- It is worth mentioning that a number of concessions/ discounts are also being given in Indian Railways to make the Railways Freight movement very attractive.
- Covid-19 has been used by Indian Railways as an opportunity to improve all round efficiencies and performances.
- Also, to attract new business and incentivise other existing clients, Ministry of Railways has held meetings with top leadership of iron & steel, cement, power, coal, automobiles and logistics service providers.
- Also, Business Development units at Zonal & Divisional levels and near doubling of freight speed is contributing to sustainable growth momentum.
Source: Central Railway-Press Release