Shri V.K. Yadav Chairman Railway Board (CRB) on Thursday visited Anand Vihar Terminal, where 267 coaches converted to Isolation wards for Covid-19 patients have been placed. Shri Yadav went around the premises and inspected the rakes. He also took stock of the facilities provided in the coaches for housing very mild to mild Covid 19 patients.
- Shri Yadav was taken around and apprised about the work being done by Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) Shri S.C. Jain and his team of officers.
- He expressed satisfaction on the efforts made by Northern Railway (NR) to serve the society and the Nation in these difficult times.
- He further added that as the cases in the national capital are on a rise innovative use of Railway assets will help the state government to deal with the cases.
- Later, the CRB interacted with the media persons present there and briefed them that IR has more than 5200 coaches ready as Isolation wards.
- The coaches will be given to the state sovernments on demand.
- The central government, ministry of railways and the state governments are working in close coordination with each other for this.
- Currently, Delhi has 503 and Uttar Pradesh has 372 coaches stationed at different railway stations.
- Shri Yadav further shared that Anand Vihar Terminal in Delhi has been completely converted into Covid-Care Centre.
- 267 coaches have been placed here which is equivalent to more than 4000 beds.
- The State Government will link these coaches with a hospital.
- Ambulances and Medical services will be provided by the state government.
- Railways has set up a control room which will be manned 24×7.
- Sanitizing and cleaning of platforms, water and electricity with a 100% electric backup is available at the station.
- The top of the coaches are being covered with a canopy and the windows have been provided with mosquito mesh.
- This will help in cross ventilation of the coaches.
Shri Yadav also added that the coaches will work as an extension of a hospital, this way it will be easier for admission and monitoring of the patients. Very mild to mild cases will be kept here. Oxygen cylinders have been provided by Railways in case the need arises. He concluded by saying that Indian Railways will always be in the forefront to help the Govt and the people of India overcome this global pandemic.
Source: NR-Press Release