The Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has provided Platform Screen Doors (PSD) in the platforms of Underground Metro Stations under Phase-I of Chennai Metro Rail Project to enhance the safety of the passengers, which were imported.
- Now, in order to indigenize the PSD System, CMRL and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) have joined hands to develop the system in India under “Make in India” initiative.
- In this connection, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on 27th October 2022 between CMRL and BEL at Chennai Complex of BEL.
- Mr. M.A. Siddique IAS, MD, CMRL and Mr. Dinesh Kumar Batra, CMD, Bharat Electronics have signed the MoU for development, installation and commissioning of Half Height PSD systems at seven Metro Stations (13 Platforms) in Corridor 1 (Blue line) between Wimco Nagar Depot and New Washermenpet Metro station.
- Under the arrangement, the work of development of the half height PSD system for Chennai Metro will be executed by the Panchkula unit of Bharat Electronics Limited in three phases over a period of 36 months.
- In the first Phase, a prototype of the PSD system will be developed and certification from Independent Safety Assessor will be obtained for the required Safety Integrity Level.
- In the second and third phases, the system will be installed and commissioned progressively at 13 Platforms of Phase 1 Extension Metro Stations between Wimco Nagar Depot and New Washermenpet Metro station.
- During this event, Mr. Rajesh Chaturvedi Director (Systems and Operations), Tmt. Prabha Goyal, General Manager, BEL, Panchkula unit and other officials from CMRL and BEL were present.
Source: Chennai Metro- Press Release | Image Credit : Chennai Metro