In an endeavour to curb the spread of Covid-19, CMRL has been undertaking adequate precautions at all Metro Stations and in Metro Trains by making strict adherence to wearing of Face Masks inside the Metro Premises and Metro Trains. A penalty of Rs. 200/- is also being levied on passengers for non-adherence to wearing of Face Masks properly.
- In addition, passengers are also being tested using thermal scanners.
- Additional measures namely, cleaning of trains, ticketing places, entry and exit gates at frequent intervals, making sanitizers available at entry, liquid soaps in the restroom areas, displaying Do’s and Don’ts to spread awareness and public announcements at stations and in trains are being strictly followed.
- As per the instructions from Government of Tamil Nadu for restriction of passenger occupancy to 50% for curbing the spread of Covid-19, from 06-05-2021 to 20-05-2021, Chennai Metro Rail Limited has decided to allow passenger occupancy up to 50% (seating only).
- In this connection, Passengers are requested not to be seated on the “X”marked Seats on Metro Trains and no passengers shall be permitted to travel in the Metro Trains in standing posture.
- Presently, on all working days from Monday to Saturday, 5 minute headway is being followed during Peak hours and 10 minute headway during Non-peak hours.
- CMRL will be closely monitoring the passenger movements via CCTV from all Metro Stations and Operational Control Centre (OCC) located at CMRL Admin Building, Koyambedu.
- Hence, appropriate measures will be undertaken to increase the Metro Train services during Peak hour and Non-Peak hour in case there is an increase in passenger flow forpassenger’s benefit and seamless integration.
- Passengers are requested to avoid unnecessary travel outside their homes and to wear Face Masks properly and maintain social distancing while waiting in the Metro Stations and also during travelling in Metro Trains and to cooperate in the fight against the spread of Covid 19.
Meanwhile, Chennai Metro Rail resumed its services in a graded manner from 07.09.2020. A total of 93,68,304 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 07.09.2020 to 31.03.2021. A total of 31,52,446 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trainsfrom 07.09.2020 to 31.12.2020.
- A total of 13,43,695 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 01.01.2021 to 31.01.2021.
- A total of 20,54,653 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 01.02.2021 to 28.02.2021.
- A total of 28,17,510 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 01.03.2021 to 31.03.2021.
- On 08.03.2021 a total of 1,01,163 passengers have used the Metro Trains to commute.
- A total of 2,12,941 passengers have utilised the recently launched QR code ticketing system from September, 2020 to March, 2021 and 47,81,943 passengers have used Travel Card Ticketing System from September, 2020 to March, 2021.
- In the month of March, 2021 a total of 62,586 passengers have utilised the QR Code ticketing system.
- While 13,17,093 passengers have used the Travel Card Ticketing System.
- CMRL offers a 20% discount on QR Code ticketing namely Single Journey Q.R Ticket, Return Journey Q.R Ticket, Group Q.R Ticketand Q.R Trip passes from 11.09.2020.
- 20% discount fares on using Metro Train Travel Cards from 22.02.2021.
- It is mandatory to wear face masks at all Metro Station Premises and inside Metro Trains.
- Passengers are requested to maintain social distance while waiting in the Metro Stations and during travelling in Metro Trains and request all passengers to cooperate in the fight against the spread of Covid 19.
Source: CMRL-Press Release | Image Credit: CMRL