Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has been operating its passenger services from 21st June 2021 post lockdown imposed by Government of Tamil Nadu due to COVID-19 pandemic. Presently CMRL is operating its Metro Train Services with 50% capacity as per the instructions of Government of Tamil Nadu.
- A total of 22,02,045 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 21.06.2021 to 31.07.2021.
- A total of 3,55,579 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 21.06.2021 to 30.06.2021.
- A total of 18,46,466 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trainsfrom 01.07.2021 to 31.07.2021.
- On 26.07.2021 a maximum of 74,380 passengers used the Metro Trains to commute.
- In the month of July, 2021 a total of 30,160 passengers have utilised the QR Code ticketing system, while 10,06,615 passengers have used Travel Card Ticketing System.
- CMRL offers a 20% discount on QR Code ticketing namely Single Journey Q.R Ticket, Return Journey Q.R Ticket, Group Q.R Ticketand Q.R Trip passes from 11.09.2020.
- 20% discount fares on using Metro Train Travel Cards from 22.02.2021.
- In addition, a penalty of Rs.200/-is being imposed for not properly wearing Face Masks in Metro Trains and MetroStations.
- So far a total of 102 passengers have been levied penalty from 21.06.2021 till 31.07.2021 for non-adherence and a sum of Rs.20,400 has been collected as penalty.
Covid-19 Safety measures undertaken by CMRL:
- All Passengers and Staff are screened at the entrance of Metro Stations through Thermal Scanning.
- Only asymptomatic passengers are allowed to enter into the metro stations. Guidelines for Do’s and Don’ts have been put up at all Metro Stations for creating awareness among passengers.
- Crowd Control/Platform Management Staff have been deployed in Stations and Suitable markings like “X” have been indicated on alternate seats both in trains and platforms to ensure social distancing.
- Avoid unnecessary travel outside your home.
- It is mandatory to wear face masks at all Metro Station Premises and inside Metro Trains.
- Passengers are requested to maintain social distancing while waiting in the Metro Stations and during travelling in Metro Trains and request all passengers to co-operate in the fight against the spread of Covid 19.
Source: CMRL-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): CMRL