As per the instructions from Government of Tamil Nadu for restriction of passenger occupancy to 50% for curbing the spread of Covid-19, from 06-05-2021 to 20-05-2021, Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has decided to allow passenger occupancy up to 50% (seating only).
- In this connection, Passengers are requested not to be seated on the “X”marked Seats on Metro Trains and no passengers shall be permitted to travel in the Metro Trains in standing posture.
- Presently, on all working days from Monday to Saturday, 5 minute headway is being followed during Peak hours and 10 minute headway during Non-peak hours.
- CMRL will be closely monitoring the passenger movements via CCTV from all Metro Stations and Operational Control Centre (OCC) located at CMRL Admin Building, Koyambedu.
- Hence, appropriate measures will be undertaken to increase the Metro Train services during Peak hour and Non-Peak hour in case there is an increase in passenger flow for passenger’s benefit and seamless integration.
- Passengers are requested to avoid unnecessary travel outside their homes and to wear Face Masks properly and maintain social distance while waiting in the Metro Stations and also during travelling in Metro Trains and to cooperate in the fight against the spread of Covid 19.
- In an endeavour to curb the spread of Covid-19, CMRL has been undertaking adequate precautions at all Metro Stations and in Metro Trains by making strict adherence to wearing of Face Masks inside the Metro Premises and Metro Trains.
- A penalty of Rs. 200/- is also being levied on passengers for non-adherence to wearing of Face Masks properly.
- In addition, passengers are also being tested using thermal scanner.
- Additional safety measures being strictly followed include:
- Cleaning of trains, ticketing places, entry and exit gates at frequent intervals
- Making sanitizers available at entry
- Liquid soaps in the restroom areas
- Displaying Do’s and Don’ts to spread awareness
- Public announcements at stations and in trains
Meanwhile, CMRL has invited sealed tenders from Reputed and Experienced General Consultants through International Competitive Bidding (ICB) for the Selection of General Consultant (GC) for Chennai Metro Rail Phase 2 Project – Corridor 4 and part of Corridor-3 & 5.
- NIT No: CMRL-P2-GC-02-2021
- Name of work: Selection of General Consultant (GC) for Chennai Metro Rail Phase 2 Project – Corridor 4 and part of Corridor-3 & 5.
- Completion period of the work: 63 Months
- Pre-bid Meeting: 16/06/2021 at 15:00 hrs
- Last Date and Time of submission of Tender: 14/07/2021 Up to 18:00 hrs
- Date and Time of opening of Tender: 15/07/2021 at 10.00 hrs
The Government of India has approved the Chennai Metro Rail Project Phase 2 (hereinafter referred to as “the Project”) which is to meet growing traffic demand by constructing approximately 65 Kms with 70 Stations of Mass Rapid Transit System to mitigate worsening road traffic / traffic pollution and eventually lead to balanced regional development and improvement of metropolitan atmospheric environmental condition in Chennai Metropolitan Area.
The corridor wise detail is as following:
- Corridor 3 (Extension): Sholinganallur to SIPCOT excluding Sholinganallur station (10 Stations)
- Corridor 4: Light house to Poonamallee bypass (30 Stations)
- Corridor 5 (Extension): CMBT to Sholinganallur excluding CMBT & Sholinganallur stations (30 Stations)
The Construction Works is expected to be completed by June 2026.
Source: CMRL-Press Release | Image Credit: CMRL