The Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) in its endeavor to provide several sustainable and eco-friendly amenities had decided to install Green boxes of Sciophytes plant species in shaded areas of the Platform for generating more oxygen and also enhancing aesthetic appeal of the Metro Stations.
- As a pilot venture, the Green boxes which are made up of eco-friendly materials have been installed at Koyambedu Metro Station.
- These Green Boxes have been placed on a sand filled tray to collect the excess water draining from the box, thereby preventing water spillage into the platform.
- Raphix excelsa (Lady Palm), Pentanus, Schefflera variegated (Dwarf Umbrella Plant) etc., are foliage indoor plants/shrubs that have been planted in the Green Boxes which helps in absorbing Carbon di-oxide, and also purify the air in the Metro Station.
- In addition to the above, several innovative initiatives namely creating an Ecological Vibrant Unit in the Project area to have a more Greenery and Sustainable ecosystem. It will continuously help in minimizing the pollution and attenuate the environmental impact.
- Thiru. Pradeep Yadav, I.A.S., Managing Director, CMRL inspected the new venture at Koyambedu Metro Station. Senior Officials of CMRL were present during the inspection.
The Chennai Metro Rail resumed its services in a graded manner from 07.09.2020. A total of 65,50,794 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 07.09.2020 to 28.02.2021.
- A total of 31,52,446 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 07.09.2020 to 31.12.2020.
- A total of 13,43,695 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 01.01.2021 to 31.01.2021.
- A total of 20,54,653 passengers have travelled in the Metro Trains from 01.02.2021 to 28.02.2021.
- On 14.02.2021 a total of 1,37,957 passengers and 26.02.2021 a total of 1,15,892 passengers have used the Metro Trains to commute.
- A total of 1,50,355 passengers have utilised the recently launched QR code ticketing system from September, 2020 to February, 2021 and 34,64,850 passengers have used Travel Card Ticketing System from September, 2020 to February, 2021.
- In the month of February, 2021 a total of 40,850 passengers have utilised the QR Code ticketing system.
- While 9,84,665 passengers have used the Travel Card Ticketing System.
- CMRL offers a 20% discount on QR Code ticketing namely Single Journey Q.R Ticket, Return Journey Q.R Ticket, Group Q.R Ticket and Q.R Trip passes from 11.09.2020. 20% discount fares on using Metro Train Travel Cards from 22.02.2021.
- CMRL requests all its passengers to co-operate with CMRL security, Ticketing and other staff for a safe and smooth travel in its effort to prevent the spread of Covid-19 by maintaining social distancing.
Source: CMRL-Press Release