The Chennai Metro Rail Ltd. (CMRL) in its endeavour to provide safety to the passengers, initiated the process of studying various contactless optional measures for the safe usage of its elevators. Now, CMRL has come with an ingenious way to avoid and minimise hand contact with the elevator buttons by providing foot-operated lift mechanism so as to reduce the virus spread and ensure safety of the users.
- This foot-operated mechanism is one of a kind prototype and CMRL takes the lead to be the first Metro Rail in India to implement this mechanism – initially in its Administration Building at Koyambedu during May 2020 on a trial basis.
- Based on the positive impact, CMRL has installed the foot-operated lift mechanism in all its 32 Metro Stations to facilitate the passengers, in particular, and the public, in general.
- In addition to the above, CMRL in its unstinted effort to curb the spread of Covid-19, has also installed Foot Operated Buttons to the Water Taps in all 190 Restrooms at all 32 Metro Stations to encourage contact-less usage for the safety of passengers.
As part of providing several multi-modal integration facilities to passengers, Chennai Metro Rail Limited in association with Howdy Hire Bikes, a two wheeler rental start-up have launched a fleet of electric two wheelers at Thirumangalam, Vadapalani and Alandur Metro Stations.
- Howdy electric two wheelers can be utilised by passengers using their “Howdy Hire Bikes” Mobile App and select their pick up hub and drop hub to reserve a scooter.
- Once done, passengers can scan the QR code of the bike to lock/unlock/start/pause ride from the mobile application itself.
- Once the ride is completed, the passenger can drop it at any hub close to their destination.
- The hub will be available at every 500 meters within Chennai.
- The charges are Rs.3 per kilometre and 10 paise per minute.
- The first ride is absolutely free with a 50% discount on the next 5 rides.
- These bikes are provided with a double layer protection for the safety of passengers:
- They are coated with a certified “Anti – Microbial” solution that provides protection against Droplet Based virus.
- The bikes and helmets are sanitized after each and every ride.
- Based on the response from the public, this facility will be made available at more Chennai Metro Stations.
Source: CMRL-Press Release