Share with your network
Chennai Metro Rail Limited tunnelling commenced at Greenways Road Station in Corridor 3 contract TU02 Kellys to Taramani of Phase –II Chennai Metro Rail Project.
- Chennai Metro Rail Limited has commenced the expansion of the Chennai city’s metro rail network as part of Phase 2 after the successful completion of the Phase-1 and Phase 1 Extension Corridors in stages since June 2015 and the growing ridership in Corridors 1 & 2.
- Now, CMRL has ventured into an extensive infrastructure development in the city comprising of 3 more corridors of metro rail for a total length of 118.9 km, the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) was initiated at Greenways Road Station in Corridor 3 contract TU02 (Kellys to Taramani).
- Larsen & Toubro is the contractor on the TU02 contract from Kellys to Taramani. There will be a total of 23 TBMs working in the Chennai city for building the extensive network of underground tunnels of Phase 2 which includes new TBMs imported for the works and TBMs remanufactured in India.
- These TBMs shall be launched and retrieved multiple times till completion from the shafts at various locations. TU02 will need the utilisation of eight TBMs (Kellys to Taramani).
- This Herrenknecht TBM (S 1027) will be tunnelling from Greenways Road Station to Adyar Junction Station (1.226km). The TBM that is tunnelling has been named as Kaveri, named after the river Kaveri. There is a convention of naming the TBM’s used in projects. The next TBM from Green ways road is named Adyar.
- The Kaveri TBM is scheduled to arrive at Adyar Junction in August 2023. This TBM will tunnel through DB Road, crossing the Adyar River near Thiru Vi. Ka. Bridge, and eventually arriving at Adyar Junction Station.
About Chennai Metro Phase-2:
- Phase II expansion has been planned for a length of 118.9 Km network with 128 nos. Of Stations. It consists of three Corridors i.e. Corridor -3 – From Madhavaram to SIPCOT (45.8 Km), Corridor -4 – From Lighthouse to Poonamalle Bypass (26.1 Km), Corridor-5- From Madhavaram to Sholinganallur (47 Km).
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs. 63246/- Cr (Rupees Sixty three thousand two hundred and forty six only) (including IDC). The project is proposed to be completed by the end of 2026.
Source: Chennai Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Chennai Metro
Be the first to comment