Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) has awarded the contract to M/s Aarvee Associates Architects Engineers & Consultants Private Limited as a consultant for the preparation of the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the Madurai Mass Rapid Transit System.
- The kick off meeting was held (29-03-2023) at Metro, Nandanam, Anna Salai. The meeting was chaired by Mr. T. Archunan, Director Projects-CMRL. During the meeting Director Projects-CMRL emphasized the importance and urgency of finishing the project within the 75-day time frame.
- Mr. Livingstone, CGM (PP&D), Tmt. Rekha Prakash, CGM (PD) along with representatives of M/s Aarvee Associates Architects Engineers & Consultants Private Limited were present during the meeting.
- A stakeholder meeting will be held shortly at Madurai, chaired by Mr. M.A. Siddique, I.A.S., MD, CMRL.
- The Chennai Metro is a rapid transit system serving the city of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL), a joint venture between Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu, operates the Chennai Metro. It is the third longest metro system in India after Delhi Metro and Hyderabad metro.
- The Phase-I of Chennai Metro Rail project covers a length of 45.046 km network and consists of two corridors i.e. Corridor-I (Blue Line) – From Washermenpet to Airport (23.085 Km), Corridor -2(Green Line) – From Chennai Central to St. Thomas Mount (21.961 km).
- About 55% of the corridors in Phase-I are underground and the remaining elevated. Out of 32 nos of stations 13 nos are elevated stations and the remaining 19 nos are underground stations.
- Inter corridor interchange stations are available at Alandur (Elevated) station and Chennai Central (Underground) station respectively. The system commenced service in 2015 after partially opening the first phase of the project.
Source: Chennai Metro- Press Release | Image Credit: Chennai Metro