Central Railway’s Bhiwandi Road Parcel Terminal has emerged as the most successful Business Development Unit registering a loading of 4,761 tonnes of parcel in a span of 3 months. Azara, Guwahati retains the top position with a loading of 3,271 tonnes in 1.82 lakh packages in 10 trips followed by Shalimar with a loading of 887 tonnes in 77,799 packages in 8 trips.
- From its first dispatch of 86.85 tonnes of parcel in 3,879 packages by the first parcel train on 9.9.2020, Bhiwandi Road Parcel Terminal has come a long way in transportation of parcels.
- A total of 4,761 tonnes of goods in 2.96 lakh packages have been dispatched till date from Bhiwandi Road Parcel Terminal, which included furniture, refrigerators, electronic items, food items, food products, medicines, plastic items, bags, stationery, lubricant oil and cosmetics of popular brands like Godrej, Onida, LG, Bajaj, Parle-G, Hindustan Lever, Del-Monte, Milton etc.
- Parcel trains are time tabled hence come with assured transit time.
- Sending a parcel through a train takes less time compared to other modes of transport, besides the tariff offered for parcel loaders is much less compared to road transport.
About Bhiwandi Road station:
- Bhiwandi Road railway station on Mumbai Division lies on the Vasai-Diva-Panvel route of Central Railway.
- It is the connecting point of the North-South railway traffic and also connects the JNPT port with Railways.
- Bhiwandi is an industrial town and a textile and warehousing hub.
- Many e-commerce companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Reliance, Snapdeal, and FedEx have branches in the town.
- It also has multiple advantages like proximity to Mumbai and Thane city, adequate parking space for trucks and tempos, etc, besides a number of warehouses are located in the close vicinity of the station.
- Recently, Shri Shalabh Goel, Divisional Railway Manager, Mumbai Division, along with senior railway officials.
- Visited Bhiwandi goods siding and conducted a meeting with traders and loaders in presence of Shri Kapil Patil, Hon’ble MP and other dignitaries to further popularise for sending parcels.
- Bhiwandi Road Parcel Terminal has not only boosted railway revenue but has also helped generate job opportunities for local people which has proved to be a big stride towards Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
Bhiwandi has really come up as a big parcel terminal. Since its inception from 9th September 2020, it has gained a lot of momentum and support from loaders.
- The Parcel trains are time tabled hence come with assured transit time.
- Sending the parcel takes lesser time compared to other modes of transport.
- Mumbai-Chennai takes only 28 hours, Mumbai-Shalimar (Kolkata) 36 hours and Mumbai-Azara (Assam) takes 50 hours.
- The tariff offered for parcel loaders is much less compared to road transport.
- The strategic location of Bhiwandi as the warehouses are located in a close vicinity of the station and hence the first mile charges are reduced to that extent.
- Export for Bangladesh can also go directly as railways are already sending automobiles from Kalamboli to Bangladesh.
Source: Central Railway-Press Release