The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has successfully completed the structural work of four kilometres of viaduct starting from Majlis Park to Mukarba Chowk connecting the Majlis Park and Bhalaswa Metro stations on the upcoming Janakpuri West – RK Ashram Marg corridor of Phase-4.
- This particular completed stretch of elevated viaduct is now being offered to the system contractors for track laying and traction work involving the erection of Overhead Electrification (OHE) masts etc.
- The structural work for the viaduct shall also be completed till Haiderpur Badli soon, as just a crossing over a railway track is left there.
- This is an important achievement for DMRC’s engineers since the work on this corridor had started amidst the Covid crisis and had to face intermittent delays due to the pandemic, and issues pertaining to obtaining tree-cutting clearances.
- The construction work of this corridor shall be completed by March 2026. This work was completed without causing any major disruption to the flow of traffic below.
- Work on the Janakpuri West – RK Ashram Marg Metro corridor is progressing at full speed now. DMRC completed 2.2 kilometres of underground tunnels (for up and down movement) between Janakpuri West and Krishna Park Extension on this corridor last year.
- On the 2nd of June earlier this week, another tunnel boring machine was lowered for tunnelling work between Derawal Nagar to Pulbangash. This TBM drive will achieve depth upto 25.9 metres near the Najafgarh drain and will be 5800 metres in dia.
- The movement of the TBMs are being monitored round the clock digitally by DMRC since there are a lot of old buildings above.
- As part of its Phase-4 expansion, DMRC is currently engaged in the construction of 65 kilometres of new lines across three different corridors. Out of these 28 kilometres will be underground and the rest shall be elevated. 11 new interchange stations shall also come up as part of this new expansion.
Source: DMRC- Press Release | Images Credit: DMRC