Share with your network
Even as the rest of the nation was busy celebrating Holi, the festival of colours on Wednesday, engineers of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) were at work to install some vital components which are crucial for the smooth functioning of trains in the underground sections.
- A total of two tunnel booster fans were installed at locations inside the tunnel near Udyog Bhawan and Central Secretariat on the HUDA City Centre – Samaypur Badli Yellow Line corridor on Wednesday. Since the installation activity normally takes about 24 hours-time, this festive day was chosen to ensure that there was minimum inconvenience to the passengers.
- Tunnel Booster Fans are an important component of an underground mass transit system. In long tunnels such as the ones used in Metro systems, these tunnel booster fans assist in the ventilation process. For Metro systems specifically, tunnel booster fans may be installed near the crossover to direct the air-flow in the desired direction.
- For the installation work of these fans, about a hundred trained personnel led by a General Manager ranked senior officer were at the site during the day. The installation work of both the fans was simultaneously carried out to ensure that the process took the least possible amount of time.
- Since, ridership is generally low on a holiday and services, in any case, were not operational till 2:30 pm, this particular day was chosen for this work. While all Metro services started from 2:30 pm, just one section between Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat on Yellow Line (Line-2 i.e, Samaypur Badli to HUDA City Centre) remained closed till the end of operational hours on 8th March.
- The passengers were suitably guided through announcements, social media posts, and press statements about the alternative routes which were available for travel. Such maintenance activities are often taken up during the weekends or after the operational hours so that services can be made available to the passengers during the scheduled hours smoothly.
- A detailed mechanism for timely maintenance, repair, and refurbishment of parts and components has been put in place. These repair works are carried out accordingly under the continuous supervision of the management. As a result, DMRC has been able to maintain a punctuality rate of over 99 percent ever since the commencement of operations.
Source: DMRC- Press Release | Images Credit: DMRC
Be the first to comment