On 26th March 2022, First Make in India Aluminium Body Train from TWL Factory Kolkata was flagged off. First train was introduced in commercial service in Pune Metro w.e.f. 6th March 2022, after inauguration by Hon’ble Prime Minister of India. For the first-time aluminium body metro cars are being manufactured in India. It is the lightest Metro Coach in the country, it is 6.5% lighter than the conventional stainless steel coaches. These aluminium coaches are energy efficient, sustainable, of longer life and requires very low maintenance.
- Pune Metro has two corridors, PCMC to Swargate and Vanaz to Ramwadi. This 33.2Km line has 25 elevated and 5 underground stations. The 12km stretch from PCMC to Phugewadiand Vanaz to Garware College is open for commercial operations for the citizens.
- Pune Metro had placed the order for a total 34 trains each with three car compositions, (Total 102 Cars), manufactured by Consortium of M/s TWL India and M/S TFA Italy. The First two trains have already arrived from (Titagarh Firema) TFA Italy and the remaining trains are being manufactured in India at TWL factory, Kolkata.
- The 3 Car Composition has a total passenger carrying capacity of approximately 978 (Driving Motor Car-315, Trailer Car-348] and Seating capacity of 140 [Driving Motor Car-44, Trailer Car-52 (including 2 wheelchairs)]
- This Make in India Coach has anti-dragging feature which is implemented for the first time in metro trains in India. This dragging feature provided in the doors to stop the train in case of entrapment of thinnest object like a sari etc. It has sliding bi-parting doors equipped with obstacle detection feature and front end emergency evacuation door. The coaches are fully Air-Conditioned with humidity control-2 HVAC units of 45 kW in each car. With 66% Powering with More than 30% energy regeneration, it has a regenerative braking from 70 kmph to 10 kmph.
- The coach has passenger safety features like Panic Button for safety of passengers (4 nos. in each car). The passenger can communicate to driver directly in case of any emergency. In train CCTV Coverage(98%). The train will move only when all the doors are closed and locked after the passengers have boarded for the journey. It also has emergency break application in moving train in case of any train partition. To sum it up, these coaches are equipped with world-class passenger safety features.
- The coach has other features like mobile charging points, voice announcements for the station names, wider gangway interconnecting the cars for seamless movement of passengers inside train, digitalRoute with front and side destination indicators on the train, grab poles and rails, Drought screen passengers for standing passenger supports, dedicated wheelchair space for differently abled persons (2 nos. in Trailer Car).
- It also has one entire coach marked for ladies, “Nari Shakti-Woman Power” dedicated to women passengers. The in train signages for passenger safety and information, along with Pune Metro help line number. The train complies with the provisions for Make in India and its 60-65% equipment & items are sourced through Indian Manufacturers and vendors.
Shri Manoj Joshi, Secretary, MoHUA and Chairman, Maha Metro: Speaking on the occasion Shri Manoj Joshi said that a new eco-system is being developed in the country because of metro projects in the country. Manufacture of such a train is a big step towards Make in India concept, Shri joshi said and congratulated Maha Metro MD Dr Dixit for taking a bold decision to use aluminium-made train, he said. Ten years back, such a decision couldn’t even thought off, he said and also greeted Titagad Wagons for the risk it has taken in this field. He said that having made this train, its maintenance and ensuring quality is also a challenge.
Dr Brijesh Dixit, MD, Maha Metro: Manufacture of such a light-weight aluminium – body train in India for the first time and its use for Maha Metro project is a major step, Dr Brijesh Dixit said in his speech. Work on Nagpur Metro project was started in 2015 and then there was not a single company manufacturing metro train in the country. Much progress has been achieved in this direction since then, he said. Two lines of Pune project have been recently launched and passenger services on the remaining project will soon be started he added. The state government has given extensive co-operation in executing Metro projects in the state, he added
Shri Jaydeep, OSD, MoHUA: In his speech, Shri Jaydeep spoke about use of aluminium coach was a major achievement for Mass Rapid Transit System projects in the country. This is a landmark decision, he said this is a step towards fulfilling the concept of Atma Nirbhar Bharat as envisaged by the government. The chairman, Titagarh Wagons Shri J.P Chaudhary and Managing Director Shri Umesh Chaudhary addressed the gathering and spoke about the project of aluminium-body metro train.
Source: Pune Metro- Press Release