- It is the city’s first metro project that can run #driverless and the trains to have 75% motorization making operations efficient. This is also the city’s first fully underground metro project.
- The 1st metro trainset was flagged off for trial runs by Shri Eknath Shinde, Hon’ble Chief Minister, Maharastra & Shri Devendra Fadnavis, Deputy CM, Maharastra along with Smt. Ashwini Bhide, Managing Director, MMRC. The metro trainset ran a 3-km stretch from Sariput Nagar, Aarey to Marol Naka for the inaugural trial run.
- Alstom is indigenously designing, manufacturing, and commissioning 31 lightweight, fully furnished modern passenger train sets of 8 cars each (248 metro cars) for the 33.5-km long underground stretch of Mumbai Metro Line 3. This is the biggest rolling stock contract in India’s urban mobility sector for the company, valued at approximately €315 million. Making it an easy travel for Mumbaikars, these metro trains are estimated to reduce 35% of overall traffic and help in reducing air & noise pollution.
- These trains are built at one of Alstom’s largest urban Rolling Stock manufacturing units in Sricity, Andhra Pradesh. This world-class facility has an annual manufacturing capacity of 480 cars, with a strong portfolio of delivering to major Indian and international metro projects.
- With a proven track record, low lifecycle costs and keen focus on passenger experience, Alstom’s Metropolis trainsets set the standard in energy-efficient, and safe operations. Themed on ‘Dynamic Fluidism’ that takes inspiration from the city, these trains prioritize high interior density layout to maximize space efficiency, enabling each trainset to carry 3,000 passengers per trip.
- It offers a unique design, and a wide range of configurations and ensures the highest performance due to the perfect combination of proven and reliable components and innovations. These metro trains are a testament to the company’s superior eco-design principle, with 96% of the mass of materials and components used being recyclable, and 99% recoverable.
- Mumbai Metro Line 3 will connect Cuffe Parade business district in the extreme south of the city to SEEPZ in the north-central with 26 underground and one street-level station. Alstom is also equipping this line with the latest generation of CBTC signaling technology (Urbalis 400). This is Alstom’s proprietary technology that results in increasing average capacity by 30% in manned services and unattended train operations (UTO) and helps reduce energy consumption by 30%.
About Alstom in India:
- Alstom is the only multinational sustainable mobility provider in India, to have a comprehensive portfolio of offerings to meet customer specific needs, from cost-efficient mass-market platforms to high-end technological innovations.
- Synonymous with the country’s ‘Rail Revolution’, Alstom continues to be a strategic partner in supporting India’s freight revolution and passenger movement.
- With 6 industrial sites and 4 major engineering centers, the company not only caters to domestic project needs, but also delivers for many international projects. Supporting the government’s modernization initiatives, Alstom has been at the forefront of introducing several breakthrough technologies in India with world class rolling stock, rail equipment & infrastructure, signalling and services.
- Fully aligned with the country’s vision of Make-in-India and Atmanirbhar Bharat, Alstom remains deeply committed to strengthening its local sourcing and supply chain ecosystem.
Source: Alstom -Press Release