In a historic occasion for connectivity and transportation in the North Eastern Region, passenger train services commenced for the first time on 26th August, 2022 from Shokhuvi Railway Station in Nagaland to Naharlagun Railway station in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The inaugural service of this train was flagged off on 26th August, 2022 by Shri Neiphiu Rio, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Nagaland in presence of Shri Paiwang Konyak, Hon’ble Minister for Transport, Civil Aviation and Railways, Land Resources, Govt. of Nagaland and Shri N. Jacob Zhimomi, Hon’ble Minister of Public Health Engineering department, Govt. of Nagaland. Shri Anshul Gupta, General Manager of N.F. Railway and Shri J. S. Lakra, Divisional Railway Manager of Lumding division along with other dignitaries were present.
- The Chief Minister of Nagaland said that Nagaland is getting the second railway station on Dhansari–Shokhuvi railway line after a gap of more than 100 years since Dimapur station was opened in 1903. The new service will provide an alternative route for Nagaland and Manipur passengers to and from Guwahati.
- This connectivity will immensely help in transporting agricultural products directly from Nagaland to the buyer and will boost economic development of the state, the Chief Minister stated.
- The 15817/15818 Donyi Polo Express, which used to run between Guwahati and Naharlagun, is now extended to Shokhuvi, and will henceforth run as a daily train service between Shokhuvi and Naharlagun. The train will have one first AC cum AC-2 tier, one AC-2 tier, three AC-3 tier, eight sleeper class, two general second class coaches and two brake, luggage cum generator cars.
- The train will cover a distance of 440 kms in 13 hrs and 40 mins. It will have stoppages at Dhansiri, Diphu, Lumding, Lanka, Hojai, Chaparmukh stations in its extended service between Shukhovi and Guwahati.
- Regular services of this train will commence today (26th August, 2022) from Naharlagun, and from Shokhuvi w.e.f. 27th August. The train No. 15818 Naharlagun – Shokhuvi Express from Naharlagun to Shokhuvi will depart Naharlagun at 19:50 hrs in the evening every day, and reach Shokhuvi at 09:30 hrs in the morning. The same train will then move from Shokhuvi as train No. 15817 Shokhuvi – Naharlagun Express at 17:45 hrs in the evening, and reach Naharlagun at 06:45 hrs in the morning.
- The commencement of this train service from Shokhuvi is a major step towards improving connectivity and facilitating development of the state of Nagaland. It will not only enable passengers from Nagaland to travel for work, education and healthcare needs, but also act as a means of strengthening the people-to-people linkages and cultural bonding between the people of Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh.
- It may be mentioned here that the proposed rail link between Dimapur (Dhansiri) – Kohima (ubza) connects Kohima, the capital of Nagaland with the rest of the country. The total length of project is 82.5 km (2.75 Km in Assam and 79.75 Km in Nagaland) having 08 stations viz Dhansiri, Dhansiripar, Shokhuvi, Molvom, Pherima, Piphema, Menguzuma and Zubza. 24 major bridges; total 20 tunnels of 28.86 km length; 4 Road Over Bridges, 32 Road Under Bridges and limited height subways are being constructed.
- The project is divided into 3 phases for ease of commissioning. The first phase of 16.5 km from Dhansiri to Shokhuvi has been already completed in October, 2021.The next phase from Shokhuvi to Pherima is likely to be completed in September, 2023 and complete project up to Zubza is targeted to be completed by March, 2026.
- The new line connectivity will result in increased socio economic activity in the state of Nagaland. It will connect the hinterland with the main railway network, resulting in Increase in industrial activities in the state.
- This project will lead to easy movement of material and passengers throughout India. It will provide employment opportunities for the people of state during construction and after commissioning of the project.
Source: Northeast Frontier Railway -Press Release