Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, Minister of Railways, Communications, and Electronics & Information Technology has launched “Swachhta Pakhwara” across Indian Railways, Ministry of Communications, and Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology in New Delhi.
- During the inaugural function, senior officers of the Ministry of Railways, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology were also present.
- During the inaugural day of Pakhwara, Swachhta pledge was administered by the Minister to Railway, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology employees at Headquarters, Divisional Offices and other related establishments.
Speaking on this occasion, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw said, “It is under the leadership of Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, Swachhta has become the mission and part of life. The focus areas are Seva, Sushashan and Gareeb Kalyan. Hon’ble Prime Minister has transformed politics as the medium to serve the society.” He also added that apart from intensive cleanliness campaign, during the Swachhta Pakhwara, the focus of M/o Railways, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology would be on Swachhta, service for TB patients and Mega Blood Donation Drive.
- In addition to the launch of Swachhta Pakhwara, the Minister also released the Annual report on environment sustainability This is a comprehensive referral document highlighting steps taken by Indian Railways to promote Green environment and clean energy.
- This report brings out Railways’ effort towards net zero emission such as energy conservation measures, alternate fuel, harnessing renewable energy, water conservation, afforestation, green certification of stations and establishments, bio toilets, solid waste management etc.
- The Ministry of Railways is observing Swachhta Pakdwara from 16th September 2022 to 30th September 2022. The Ministry of Railways has extended it suo-moto up to 02nd October 2022. It will culminate with Mahatma Gandhi’s Jayanti.
- This year, special focus will be given on cleanliness of tracks at stations, approach to major stations and elimination of plastic waste in Railway premises. During the Pakhwara, intensive cleaning and sanitization of stations, trains, tracks, colonies and other railway establishments is being carried out with special focus on plastic waste management.
- Railways is an environment friendly means of bulk transportation and it has always been in the forefront of promoting a clean and green environment. It has taken several initiatives for providing a clean environment in and around Railway stations and trains such as Bio toilets on coaches leading to clean tracks, segregation of biodegradable/non bio-degradable waste, solid waste management etc.
- Extensive awareness campaigns are planned to be carried out through digital media/public announcement through PA systems to educate people about the use of bio-toilets, avoiding single use plastic and observing cleanliness habits.
Source: PIB -Press Release
Be the first to comment