Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw Hon’ble Minister of Railways, Electronics & IT and Communications conducted rear-window inspection of the section from Dr MGR Chennai Central to Bengaluru Cantonment, on 20 May 2022. During the inspection, he reviewed various projects and policies with the officers of Southern Railway (SR) and South Western Railways (SWR). The officers of SWR accompanied the Hon’ble Minister from Jolarpettai (the interchange point between SR and SWR).
- Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw Hon’ble Minister of Railways, Electronics & IT and Communications conducted rear-window inspection of the section from Dr MGR Chennai Central to Bengaluru Cantonment.
- The Hon’ble Minister held open discussion, en-route with young officers on innovative ideas and suggestions.
Shri Vaishnaw stated that Gati Shakti Units set up at Divisions will fast-track the railway construction projects which will remove infrastructure bottlenecks, improving mobility and increase freight loading.
Shri Vaishnaw congratulated Shri Sanjeev Kishore, General Manager SWR for his suggestion of empowering Divisional Units in order to fast track the construction works. He said, that this discussion – which he had with the GM earlier- has resulted in setting up of ‘Gati Shakti Units’ at Divisional Level. Bengaluru Division is one of four divisions of Indian Railways (and the only division in South India) where-in PM Gati Shakti Unit has been set up, headed by Chief Project Manager (CPM), to head the projects (he would report to the Divisional Railway Manager (DRM). The powers delegated to the CPM include the ability to utilize world-class consultant for preparation of DPRs, hire Project Management Consultants, & avail design assistance from industry, design checking, site tests, surveys etc. These units will work on speeding up the execution of works related to removal of infrastructure bottlenecks, improving mobility, increasing freight loading etc.
- PM Gati Shakti National Masterplan was launched in October 2021 by Hon’ble PM Shri Narendra Modi for providing multi-modal connectivity infrastructure for various economic zones. It is a transformative approach for economic growth & sustainable development driven by 7 engines, one of which is the Railways.
- During the course of inspection, he had an open discussion with young officers and solicited suggestions and ideas on existing policies as well as those for new innovations. He listened earnestly to the suggestions put forth and appreciated the officers for the same.
- Among the ideas put forth were: innovation in wagon design for easy transport of trucks, unified interface for end-to-end seamless parcel transport etc. He advised the officers to conduct pilot projects on experimental basis and assured all possible support for the execution of innovative ideas which would enhance safety, improve operations and the revenue of the organization.
Source: South Western Railway -Press Release