Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw visited Chennai Egmore on 19th May 2022 and inspected the facilities at the station and reviewed the Master plan of the Chennai Egmore Station redevelopment project. Shri B.G.Mallya, General Manager (In-charge), Shri Ganesh, Divisional Railway Manager, Chennai Division, and Senior officials from Southern Railway accompanied the Minister at Chennai Egmore. The Minister discussed in detail about the proposed redevelopment plans for Chennai Egmore and facilitation of inter-modal connectivity with CMRL.
- After the inspection, the Minister met with media persons at the station and replied to the questions posted about Railways While interacting with media persons, the Minister stated. “Prime Minister has the vision of transforming Indian Railways as he believes that transformation of Indian Railway will pave way transformation of Indian Economy. Redevelopment of various categories of stations are part of that vision”.
- He further elaborated about Chennai Egmore redevelopment, “Chennai Egmore will be redeveloped duly maintaining the heritage and simultaneously revamping its amenities at par with world class standards on redevelopment, the station with become the hub of economic activity.
- Post Station redevelopment, Chennai Egmore, the second largest terminal of Southern Railway, will house world-class amenities and airport-like features such as separate arrival and departure corridors, bright illumination and hassle-free access to platforms by escalators, lifts and skywalks.
Chennai Egmore Station Redevelopment Project:
- The station handles about 35 main line trains and 240 suburban trains, and about 24,129 passengers daily. The total passenger earnings per year by the station during 2020-2021 was Rs.125 crore.
- In order to handle the burgeoning passenger traffic, the existing infrastructure and passenger amenities at Chennai Egmore will be revamped, keeping abreast of the times. The station is proposed to be redeveloped at a cost of Rs.760 Crores. The railhead will serve as a multi-model transport hub for Suburban, Metro and MRTS besides being entirely divyang-friendly.
- The proposed redevelopment plan includes:
- Futuristic World-class amenities promising to meet the requirements of next 40 years
- Seamless movement of passengers by separate Arrival and Departure corridor
- Aesthically designed stations with facade lighting arrangements, better landscaping efforts
- Dedicated Parking lots for streamlined movement of different category vehicles and pedestrian in exclusive lanes.
- Inter-model connectivity
- Hassle-free access to all platforms by escalators, lifts, stairways, skywalks
- Spacious concourse, waiting halls
- Divyang-friendly modern stations
- Efficient water & energy management measures
- Clear cut division of Train operation facilities and Passenger amenities
The Minister, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw stated that five stations namely, Chennai Egmore, Madurai, Katpadi, Rameswaram and Kanniyakumari in Tamil Nadu will be redeveloped in the first phase. In Southern Railway, nine stations have been identified for redevelopment, viz.,these stations are Chennai Egmore, Rameswaram,Madurai,Katpadi,Kanyakumari, Puducherry, Ernakulam Junction, Ernakulam Town and Kollam.
Source: Southern Railway -Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR
Be the first to comment