Continuing the momentum, Indian Railways has registered stupendous freight loading performance in July 2021 by achieving yet again highest ever freight loading in the month which has continued for the last 11 months since September 2020.
- Indian Railways has achieved highest ever incremental freight loading of 17.54 million tonnes in July 2021 (an increase of 18.43 % over July 2020), with total freight loading of 112.72 million tonnes as against earlier best of 99.74 million tonnes in July 2019 and as against 95.18 million tonnes in July 2020.
- Major incremental growth over same month last year has been registered in
- Coal 9.31 million tonnes (23.47%),
- Cement sector 2.31 million tonnes(26.71%),
- Steel 0.45 million tonnes (8.72%),
- Iron -ore 1.81 million tonnes ( 14.05%),
- Raw material for steel other than iron ore 0.88 million tonnes (48.62%),
- Food grains 0.43 million tonnes (7.89%),
- Container 1.33 million tonnes (28.36%),
- Balance other goods 1.11 million tonnes (13.34%).
- With freight loading of 451.97 million tonnes in current fiscal 2021-22 as against 336.74 upto July 2020, Indian Railways has also achieved highest ever cumulative incremental freight loading of 115.23 million tonnes i.e 34.22% over same period last year 2020-21.
- In cumulative performance major growth has been registered over same period last year in Coal 55.83 MT (37.11%), Iron-ore 18.07 MT (43.88%), Cement 15.01 MT (52.91%) and Balance other goods 10.45 MT (38.42%).
Despite the Covid challenges, Freight figures continue to maintain the high momentum in terms of earnings and loading in the month of June 2021 for Indian Railways.
- On Mission Mode, in the month of June 2021, Indian Railways freight loading was 112.65 million tonnes which is 11.19 % higher compared to June 2019 (101.31 million tonnes) which was a normal year and 20.37 % higher compared to June 2020 (93.59 million tonnes) for the same period.
- The important commodities transported during June 2021 includes:-
- 50.03 million tonnes of Coal
- 14.53 million tonnes of Iron Ore
- 5.53 million tonnes of Pig Iron & Finished Steel
- 5.53 million tonnes of Food Grains
- 4.71 million tonnes of Fertilizers
- 3.66 million tonnes of Mineral Oil
- 6.59 million tonnes of Cement (excluding clinker)
- 4.28 million tonnes of Clinker
- In the month of June 2021, Indian Railways earned Rs. 11186.81 crores from freight loading which is also 26.7 % higher compared to June 2020 (Rs. 8829.68 crores) and 4.48 % higher compared to June 2019 (Rs. 10707.53 crores).
Measures taken to enhance Freight Traffic:
- It is worth mentioning that a number of concessions/ discounts are also being given in Indian Railways to make Railways Freight movement very attractive.
- It may be noted that the speed of freight trains has been enhanced in the existing network.
- Freight speed improvement leads to saving of costs for all stakeholders.
- Freight speed has doubled over the last 19 months.
- Covid 19 has been used by Indian Railways as an opportunity to improve all round efficiencies and performances.
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR