The year also marked the beginning of a new era of leadership with Shri Vikas Kumar taking over as 3rd Managing Director of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. It was a productive and fruitful year with quick progress in the construction of Phase – IV project and Delhi Metro’s aggressive bidding for consultancy services for Indian and Foreign Metro Projects including those in Israel, Egypt, Mauritius, Bahrain and Bangladesh.
- 16th January: Delhi Metro Museum, Patel Chowk added two new attractive exhibits – an original pantograph used by trains to draw power, and the models of various Metro trains currently operational across the country.
- 25th January: As part of the ongoing ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav – celebrating 75 years of India’s Independence’ (AKAM), a specially decorated Metro train was launched in the presence of Dr. Mangu Singh, Managing Director, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and other senior officials at Yamuna Bank Metro Station on the Blue. The train was inducted into passenger services immediately after the launch.
- 23rd February: In line with the Government of India’s ‘Digital India’ initiative, which endeavours to ensure that the Government’s services are made available to citizens electronically by improved online infrastructure, the Delhi Metro launched its revamped official website and mobile application, which are among the world’s most feature rich and advanced interactive digital platforms on Metro Railway. A state-of-the-art mobile application of DMRC was also launched on the same day for the greater convenience of passengers.
- 24th February: In a major historic step involving Public Private Partnership and enhanced indigenisation for the metro rail systems in India, the Delhi Metro has awarded the first contract for the lease and maintenance of Lifts and Escalators for the three priority corridors under its ongoing Phase-IV expansion. This is a first of its kind historic financial model in this sector adopted in India for funding of public infrastructure project based on Public Private Partnership (PPP) model wherein M/s Johnson Lifts, Chennai (i.e. vendor) will initially bear the entire cost for design, manufacturing, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of the Lifts and Escalators, and will maintain them for a period of 15 years.
- 25th February: Delhi Metro in its sustained efforts for implementing the indigenously developed National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) in the entire network, has entered into a contract with a consortium of M/S Revenue Collection Systems (Thales), France SAS and M/S Paytm Payments Bank Limited for executing the NCMC along with upgrade of complete ecosystem consisting of Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) system which will also enable travel through QR Tickets, Account Based Ticket and Near Field Communications (NFC) Media. This contract agreement is for the Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) work for the three priority corridors (Janakpuri West – RK Ashram Marg, Majlis Park – Maujpur and Tughalakabad – Aerocity) under Phase-IV and upgradation of existing (operational) Phase-I, II, and III Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) system.
- 28th February: The DMRC and the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), as per which DMRC shall provide technical assistance as well as execute finishing and services works for the construction of a Metro loop corridor to connect the existing Metro network with the new Central Secretariat buildings, which shall come up as part of the Central Vista Area Redevelopment project. The MoU was signed at Metro Bhawan by DMRC’s Director, Business Development, Shri Pramit Kumar Garg and Shri P.S Chauhan, Special Director General, CPWD in the presence of DMRC’s Managing Director, Dr. Mangu Singh and other senior officials.
- 04th March: A dedicated skywalk, constructed by DMRC in collaboration with Northern Railway, between the Ajmeri Gate side of the New Delhi Railway station and the adjacent New Delhi Metro stations on Yellow Line and Airport Express Line was opened for passengers. This newly constructed Skywalk is an extension of the foot over bridge (FOB) inside the Railway station and connects the Ajmeri Gate Side of the station with the New Delhi Metro stations of Yellow Line and Airport Line including the multilevel parking side across Bhavbhuti Marg through multiple entry and exit points.
- 15th March: The Delhi Metro has been conferred with the first prize at the prestigious ‘ASSOCHAM 10th Responsible Organisation Excellence Awards 2020-21’ under the category of ‘Un-Listed Company with turnover More than 1000 Cr’. Dr. Mangu Singh, Managing Director, received the award in a virtual ceremony where Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal, Hon’ble Minister of Parliamentary Affairs & Minister of State, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India was the Chief Guest.
- 29th March: The newly constructed additional interchange station on Line 5, which will provide interconnectivity between the Line 5 i.e., Green Line (Brig. Hoshiar Singh to Inderlok/Kirti Nagar) and the Line 7 i.e., Pink Line (Majlis Park to Shiv Vihar) at the Punjabi Bagh West Metro station of the Pink Line was inaugurated by Dr. Mangu Singh, Managing Director.
- 01st April: Shri Vikas Kumar assumed responsibility as the new Managing Director of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation. Shri Kumar took over charge from Dr. Mangu Singh, who was the Managing Director of DMRC since 1st January, 2012.
- 10th April: In order to further upgrade and strengthen the X-Ray baggage Scanning System (X-BIS System) at the security frisking points of Metro stations, the Delhi Metro has started introducing highly advanced and state-of-the-art baggage scanners at its Metro stations in a phased manner.
- 03rd May: The Delhi Metro celebrated its 28th Foundation Day. The Foundation Day event was held at Metro Bhawan Auditorium, where Sh. Manoj Joshi, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs & Chairman, DMRC, Shri Naresh Kumar, Chief Secretary, Government of Delhi, Shri Vikas Kumar, Managing Director, DMRC and other senior officials graced the occasion.
- 23rd May: The Delhi Metro launched its official account on the India made social media platform ‘Koo’ with the username ‘OfficialDMRC’.
- 21st July: The Delhi Metro in collaboration with the Colombian Embassy in India inaugurated an artwork painted by the renowned Colombian Urban Artist Laura Ortiz Hernández “Soma Difusa” on the station wall outside Vasant Vihar Metro Station of the Magenta Line in the presence of Shri Vikas Kumar, Managing Director/DMRC and H.E. Mariana Pacheco Montes, the Ambassador of Colombia to India and other senior officials. The event was organised to commemorate the ongoing 212th Independence Day celebrations of Colombia.
- 18th August: In its continuous pursuit to introduce and adopt world class training facilities at Delhi Metro Rail Academy (DMRA), a state-of-the-art tele-presence room and a modified ultra-modern library were inaugurated by Shri Vikas Kumar, Managing Director/DMRC in the presence of Directors and other senior officials. Sh. Kumar also visited the other upgraded facilities at the DMRA such as the gymnasium, conference room, meditation hall, Advanced & Management Program rooms, Signaling and Telecom demonstration room, Operations demonstration room, etc.
- 28th August: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has built a state of the art ‘Sainik Aram Grah’ (Transit facility) for the Indian Army at Delhi Cantonment. DMRC had taken a piece of land from the Indian Army near Lal Quila for the construction of the heritage line back in 2014. As per the terms of handover of land, DMRC was required to construct a Sainik Aram Grah at a location provided by the Army authorities.
- 31st August: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NBCC to construct a subway connecting the WTC Nauroji Nagar with the Bhikaji Cama Place Metro station on the Pink Line. The WTC is being developed by NBCC as a commercial project at Nauroji Nagar consisting of 12 towers of G+9 structure having an approximate built-up area of 34 lakhs sq. ft along with a three-level basement parking and other services.
- 01st September: A unique permanent exhibition dedicated to the gallantry award recipients of the Indian Armed Forces and the journey of India’s most successful urban transit project, the Delhi Metro was inaugurated at the Rajouri Garden Metro station by Shri Vikas Kumar, Managing Director in the presence of family members of some of the illustrious gallantry award recipients. This unique exhibition is a tribute to the gallantry award recipients of the Indian Armed Forces who have shown exemplary courage to preserve the sovereignty and dignity of the nation. Through specially designed panels, efforts have been made to blend in the stories of their courage and bravery and the incredible growth story of the Delhi Metro. Keeping the theme in mind, the exhibition has been aptly named, ‘’Veerta Aur Vikas”.
- 30th September: A film titled ‘Surmounting Challenges’ produced by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has won the Best Promotional Film Award (Non-Feature Film) at the 68th National Film Awards 2020. The 28-minute-long film deals with the various construction related challenges faced by DMRC during its third phase of expansion. In Phase 3, DMRC constructed about 190 kilometres of new lines and had to encounter innumerable challenges such as construction in the congested old Delhi localities, passing through an extremely busy road intersection at Ashram and constructing Delhi Metro’s deepest station at Hauz Khas. Shri Anuj Daya, Principal Executive Director, Corporate Communications received the award from Smt. Droupadi Murmu, Hon’ble President of India at the award ceremony held at Vigyan Bhawan.
- 07th November: The Delhi Metro signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the development of an indigenous Communication Based Train Control system (i-CBTC). DMRC is developing this indigenous Communication Based Train Control system with BEL and C-DAC as part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government of India under the aegis of Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA). Shri Om Hari Pande (Director, Electrical) DMRC and Shri Manoj Jain, Director (R&D) BEL exchanged the MoU in the presence of senior officials of both DMRC and BEL at Metro Bhawan.
- 08th November: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has introduced its first ever set of two 8-coach trains, which have been converted from the existing fleet of 39 six coach trains, for passenger services on the Red Line (Line-1 i.e. Rithala to Shaheed Sthal New Bus Adda). With this induction, now all the trains on this Line will be stopping near the far end of the platforms to accommodate the 8-coach trains accordingly. This head stopping (trains stopping near the end of the platform) is being implemented for the convenience of the passengers waiting on the platforms for the trains.
- 09th December: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has been honoured with a Certificate of Commendation by the Japanese Embassy in India, in recognition of its distinguished contribution to the enhancement of mutual understanding and friendship between Japan and India. Shri Vikas Kumar, Managing Director, Delhi Metro has received the Certificate of Commendation from His Excellency, SUZUKI Hiroshi, Ambassador of Japan to India at a ceremony organised at the Japanese Embassy, New Delhi.
- 24th December: Delhi Metro celebrated the landmark moment of completing 20 years of successful metro operations in the national capital region. This occasion was marked with the inauguration of a special exhibition on highlights of 20 years of metro operations and the Indo-Japan partnership, as the year 2022 marks the completion of 70 years of diplomatic relations between India and Japan.
This special exhibition was inaugurated at Welcome Metro Station by His Excellency, Mr. SUZUKI Hiroshi, Ambassador Extraordinary of Japan to India, in the presence of DMRC’s Managing Director, Shri Vikas Kumar, Mr. SAITO Mitsunori, Chief Representative, JICA India Office and other senior officials. Japan has a long-standing association with the DMRC since the inception of the organisation through financial support and technical assistance for the construction of all phases of the Delhi Metro project so far.
Source: DMRC- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): DMRC