- Employs over 90,000 women: Indian Railways is the largest employer in India with around 13,00,000 ( 1.3 million ) employees of which over 90,000 are Women as of 2017.
- First women driver in Railway: Surekha Shankar Yadav is the country’s first female to drive train in India. She joined Indian railways in 1988.
- Women to operate prestigious trains: An all women squad is managing operations of The Deccan Queen Express, while Mumbai-Ahmedabad Shatabdi is manned by an all-woman Travelling Ticket Examiner team.
Image Credit : Central Railway
- All women railway stations: Following are the location of where an all-women team is running railway stations
- Matunga Station in Mumbai
- Gandhinagar Station in Jaipur
- Chandragiri Stin Andhra Pradesh
- Ajni Station in Nagpur
- Maninagar Station in Gujarat
- Improve Women hygiene: To improve women hygiene on board, East Coast Railway has equipped 36 trains with 91 sanitary napkin vending machines in trains originating from its jurisdiction.
Image Credit : IRCTC
- Special leaves for women: Women railway employees are entitled to maternity leave, childcare leave and special leave for promoting family welfare. Women with disabilities are eligible for grant of special allowance for child care.
- Child care support: Several cradles have been opened at workplaces/offices for the young minors of employees and restrooms provided for female employees.
- Railway Women in Sports: A number of Railway sportswomen have excelled at national and international Competitions.
Image Credit : Western Railway
- Girl Child Education: A separate amount has also been allocated in the Staff Benefit Fund for grant of scholarships for higher education of girl child of Railway employees.
- Women Welfare Organizations of the Railways: Women Welfare Organizations of the Railways consisting of wives of railways officers who are actively running nursery schools, schools for mentally challenged children and handicraft centres for women members of employees families.
Image Credit : Indian Railways