Construction works of different Metro Projects in the city have been going on in full swing. Shri P. Uday Kumar Reddy, General Manager, Metro Railway has been constantly monitoring the progress of works of different Metro projects and personally visiting the project sites for their speedy completion.
- A major milestone has been achieved in construction of Michael Nagar Metro station on Noapara – Barasat via Bimanbandar Metro Corridor on 23.05.2023. This challenging work was started on 19.05.2023 and 24.8 MT cages of diaphragm walls were lowered at the busy Bankra intersection of National Highway-12.
- Construction work of this diaphragm wall cages having Length- 26.125 metre, Width – 5.00 metre has been completed successfully with the close coordination of the traffic police for smooth movement of traffic during the construction.
- The construction of these three diaphragm walls, WDW -15, WDW -16 and WDW -17 at the approach tunnel portion of Michaelnagar station was very challenging at the very busy intersection of National Highway. With meticulous planning and deploying required plants and machineries it has been done smoothly.
Shri Kausik Mitra, CPRO, Metro Railway has thanked all stakeholders for their support in executing this dream Metro Project which will touch the city airport.
About Kolkata Metro:
- Metro Railway, Kolkata is the first underground metro in India. It extends from Dakshineswar to Kavi Subhash Metro station near Garia, on the busy North-South axis of Kolkata over a length of 31.365 Kms. with 26 Stations & 15.70 Kms. of underground section.
- Based on traffic studies, the Dum Dum – Tollygunge corridor was first selected for implementation and work started on 29th December, 1972. The first metro line in India was accomplished on 24th October 1984, a stretch of about 3.4 km between Esplanade and Bhowanipur (Netaji Bhavan), thrown open for the Public.
- The Metro Railway, Kolkata was constructed progressively from 1972 to 2021. In Phase-I, a length of 16.45 Kms from Dum Dum to Tollygunge (Mahanayak Uttam Kumar) accomplished in 1995 and in Phase-II a length of 5.834 Kms from Mahanayak Uttam Kumar to Kavi Nazrul Metro station is accomplished in August, 2009.
- In October 2010, Metro services further extended up to Kavi Subhash, a length of 2.851 Kms. It further extended Dum Dum to Noapara, a length of 2.091 Kms, on 10th July 2013. The last leg was opened on 23rd February 2021 for commercial operation from Noapara to Dakshineswar (4.139 Kms).
- It extended in the East-West axis from Salt Lake Sector-V to Salt Lake Stadium, covering a length of 5.3 kms with 6 stations on 13th February 2020 and further extended from Salt Lake Stadium to Phoolbagan on 4th October 2020 (1.67 kms). It is further extended from Phoolbagan to Sealdah (2.33 kms) on 11th July 2022.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro