Two lifts at Mahanayak Uttam Kumar station have been dedicated to the service of the nation on 02.10.2021 on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti. Shri Sanjay Sil and Shri Tapan Nath the proud motormen who drove India’s first Metro train on 24th October 1984 dedicated these two lifts to the service of the nation in presence of Shri Manoj Joshi, General Manager, Metro Railway and other senior officials.
- Shri Joshi has expressed his hope that these lifts will help specially Senior Citizens and specially abled passengers to cross the two platforms of the station of Mahanayak Uttam Kumar station easily.
- Each of these lifts can carry 10 persons at a time.
- Later, at Mahatma Gandhi Road Metro Station, Shri Manoj Joshi and other senior officers of Metro Railway offered Shramdaan today, in order to mark the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- The General Manager garlanded a portrait of Mahatma Gandhi to pay his respect to the “Father of the Nation”.
- Other officers also paid floral tributes to Mahatma Gandhi.
- Shri Prithiraj Sen, famous historian threw light on the works and thoughts of Gandhiji by reading out from his writings.
- A Mime show on ‘Unity is Strength’ was also presented in this programme by Mime Artist Sri Dipak Mustafi.
- Free masks were also distributed among passengers at Mahatma Gandhi Road Metro station.
- Regular announcements were also made at all Metro stations requesting passengers to use eco-friendly cloth bags instead of single-use plastic.
Progress of on-going Metro projects:
Meanwhile, Shri Manoj Joshi on 27.09.2021 held a high level review meeting on the progress of different on-going Metro projects.
- Senior officers of Metro Railway and Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) were present in this meeting.
- During this meeting, Shri Joshi took stock of the progress of Joka-Esplanade, New Garia-Airport and Noapara-Barasat via Bimanbandar Metro projects.
- He instructed all concerned officials to complete all works within the deadline.
- He also took stock of planning for supply of Metro Rolling Stock from ICF.
Source: Metro Railway Kolkata-Press Release | Image Credit: Metro Railway Kolkata