Kolkata: The Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS) on Friday inspected the stretch from Salt Lake Stadium-Phoolbagan-Sealdah Crossover of East-West Metro corridor. The CRS inspected all safety aspects in the stretch and at Phoolbagan station.
- The Ministry of Railways in a tweet said,”Extension of east-west metro corridor of Kolkata on the cards! Phool Bagan to become the first underground station in Kolkata Metro corrio. This station will facilitate movement of large number of commuters from the heart of the city to IT hubs, Govt offices in the suburbs.”
Extension of east-west metro corridor of Kolkata on the cards!
Phool Bagan to become the first underground station in Kolkata Metro corrio. This station will facilitate movement of large number of commuters from the heart of the city to IT hubs, Govt offices in the suburbs. pic.twitter.com/u2Wrsnr52N
— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) June 13, 2020
- The Metro authority is looking at extending its services from Sector V to Phoolbagan after it gets the necessary clearance from the CRS.
- Once the nod from the CRS is received, the inauguration is expected to be in the month of August this year.
- The metro railway is also set for restarting commercial runs as soon as it gets a go-ahead from the central authorities.
- Due to the lockdown, the Metro services across the country were suspended by the government to prevent the COVID-19 pandemic from spreading.
Story so far:
- On February 13th, the 4.88 km-long first phase of the East-West Metro, connecting Sector V in Salt Lake with Yuva Bharati Krirangan Stadium, got functional.
Inaugurated the Phase I of East West Metro corridor of Kolkata Metro alongside Minister @SuPriyoBabul ji.
With passenger friendly amenities and reduced travel time, this service will become the preferred mode of transport for the people of the city.https://t.co/LrdsYN9AwF pic.twitter.com/t7ORop1s6o
— Piyush Goyal (@PiyushGoyal) February 13, 2020
- The 16.6-km-long rapid transit system, connecting the twin cities of Kolkata and Howrah, is now expected to be completed by mid-2022.
- The foundation stone was laid on 22 February 2009 and the construction of the first phase of the East-West Metro started in March 2009.
About the project :
- The East -West Metro corridor is a 16.5 kms long stretch which will connect Howrah on the West bank of River Hooghly with Salt Lake city on the East bank.
- The project is being executed by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited (KMRCL).
- The corridor will have10.8 kms of the stretch is underground and 5.75 kms will be on elevated viaduct.
- It is India’s first ever transportation project where metro trains will ply under river Hooghly.
- The entire stretch of the East-West Metro corridor, from Sector 5 to Howrah Maidan, is likely to be completed by mid-2022.
- Project Highlights :
- Underground : 10.8 Km
- Elevated : 5.8 Km
- Total : 16.6 Km
- Underground : 6 Nos.
- Elevated : 6 Nos.
- Total : 12 Nos.
- Composition : 6 Cars.
- Operating Speed : 80 Kmph
- 2.88 m wide with stainless steel body
- Axle load 16 ton
- Seating arrangement- longitudinal
- Capacity of 6 car unit 2068 passengers
Signaling, Telecommunication & Train Control:
- Type of signaling: CBTC (Communication Based Train Control System) with Automatic Train Protection (ATP)
- Type of signaling: (i) Integrated System with Fibre Optic cable, SCADA, Train Radio, PA system etc. (ii) Train information system , control telephones and centralized clock system
Fare collection :
- Automatic fare collection system with TOM, SMART CARD etc.
Image Credits : Kolkata Metro
Be the first to comment