During the lockdown, Metro Railway Kolkata has been executing massive maintenance and upgradation of passenger amenities works at different stations maintaining social distancing and all other Covid-19 protocols.
- Utilising this opportunity, a new escalator has been installed at Chandni Chowk station replacing the old one recently.
- This new escalator will be commissioned in the next week.
- With smooth coordination of Electrical and Civil Engineering Departments, 2 more escalators will be installed soon at Kalighat and Jatin Das Park Metro stations.
- Metro commuters will get the benefits of this upgradation work once Metro services resume.
- Recently, a new escalator has been installed at Mahatma Gandhi Road station replacing the old one in record time.
- This new modern escalator has been erected and installed in 2 months during the lockdown period maintaining social distancing and all other Covid-19 protocols.
- This escalator will be ready for use after testing.
- It is to be noted that in the last year 20 escalators have been replaced.
- The construction work of Noapara – Barasat via Bimanbandar Extension Project has picked up pace in this lockdown as Metro officers and staff are working round the clock in order to complete the work at the earliest.
- In the first phase of 7 kms stretch, the work involved the construction of a viaduct and underground tunnel work of Bimanbandar Station (Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport).
Source: Metro Railway, Kolkata-Press Release