Metro Railway Kolkata has successfully completed Non-interlocking (NI) work of Noapara Carshed on 06.06.2021. This NI work involved modification of the existing Electronic Interlocking system at Noapara which is linked to all the routes, points, signals and track sections in the Carshed.
- The modification done through non-interlocking will greatly improve the operational flexibility of movement of rakes to and from Noapara and thereby increase performance parameters of train running of Metro Railway.
- Meanwhile, Shri Manoj Joshi, General Manager, Metro Railway has reviewed all the maintenance works of tracks, rakes and signaling system that have been undertaken during this lockdown at a high level meeting held on 07.06.2021.
- During this meeting, he expressed his satisfaction on the progress of these maintenance works.
- He instructed concerned officials to complete the works within the stipulated deadline.
- Shri Joshi was also briefed about the COVID treatment being provided at Tapan Sinha Memorial Hospital.
- He has advised to keep adequate oxygen cylinders, vaccines and medicines ready in this Hospital.
- He also instructed to provide necessary treatment and care to all those patients coming to this Hospital with post – COVID complications.
East-West Metro Update:
Meanwhile, the tunneling work was completed by Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) in East West Metro Corridor with the breakthrough of “Urvi“ at Bowbazar, Kolkata on 15.05.2021.
- With this breakthrough the entire TBM tunneling for the Kolkata East-West Metro Project is completed.
- The stretch was difficult for tunneling work as it had century old buildings.
- This challenging tunnel drive of 800m has been completed successfully amidst this pandemic situation following COVID-19 protocol.
- The TBM ‘Urvi’ which had earlier completed Eastbound tunnel from Esplanade to Sealdah on 09.10.2020 was relaunched from Sealdah after necessary refurbishment and inspection on 09.01.2021 to complete the balance 800 m tunneling work in Westbound tunnel from Sealdah to Bowbazar.
- This drive of tunneling was completed and the TBM break through at Retrieval Shaft at Bowbazar was achieved on 15.05.2021.
- The project will be implemented by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited which is a CPSE under Ministry of Railways.
- Estimated completion cost of the project is – Rs. 8575 crore with Ministry of Railway’s share as Rs.3268.27 crore, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs’ share as Rs.1148.31 crore and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) loan of Rs.4158.40 crore.
- The 5.3 km long elevated corridor has already been commissioned since 14.02.2020.
- Further 1.67 Km commissioned on 05.10.2020.
- The target date for completion of the entire project is December, 2021.
Source: Metro Railway Kolkata-Update