Share with your network
Kolkata Metro has created another history on 12th April, 2023. After a long wait, the country’s first metro has run under the mighty river Hooghly. For the first time in India, the metro has completed the under-river journey.
- Shri P. Uday Kumar Reddy, General Manager, Metro Railway travelled from Mahakaran to Howrah Maidan station in Rake No. MR-612 to witness this historic event. This rake crossed river Hooghly at 11:55 hrs.
- Shri H.N. Jaiswal Additional General Manager, Metro Railway and MD, KMRCL as well as other senior officers of Metro Railway and KMRCL accompanied him during this journey. Shri Reddy offered puja at Howrah station once the rake reached there.
- Later, Rake No MR- 613 was also taken to Howrah Maidan station. Terming it a historic event, he has informed that the trial runs from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade will be conducted for the next 7 months and after that regular services on this stretch will begin.
- All the staff, engineers of KMRCL under whose efforts and supervision this engineering marvel has been achieved are happy that their dreams have come true.
Shri Kausik Mitra, CPRO/Metro Railway has said that “This is a historic moment for Metro Railway as after overcoming many hurdles we have succeeded to run rakes beneath the Hooghly river. This is a revolutionary step in providing a modern transport system to the people of Kolkata and suburbs. This is indeed a special new year gift from Indian Railways for the people of Bengal”.
- As the two Metro rakes have been taken today to Howrah Maidan station from Esplanade station, soon the trial runs on the 4.8 kms underground section from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade will begin. It is expected that commercial services on this stretch will begin in this year.
- Once this stretch is open then Howrah will be the deepest Metro station (33-metre below surface) of the country. The Metro is expected to cover the 520 metres stretch under the river Hooghly in 45 seconds. This tunnel under the river is 32 metres below from the water level.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro
Be the first to comment