- Shri Reddy started the inspection from Majerhat station this morning where Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) officials explained to him the planning of the station and the passenger amenities which will be available here.
- The General Manager inspected the upcoming Majerhat and Mominpur Metro stations and instructed them to expedite the work. All efforts are being made to complete the work of Majerhat station by Sept., 2023.
- He also inspected the Majerhat-Mominpur viaduct section. Then he visited the proposed locations of the underground Metro stations at Mominpur and Victoria Memorial. Victoria station will be constructed in front of Victoria Memorial.
- During this inspection, Shri Amit Roy, ED, RVNL and other senior officials of RVNL and Metro Railway were present. Shri Reddy also inspected the proposed site where Dr. B.C. Roy Market at Maidan area will be relocated so that the land for the proposed Esplanade station becomes available. The working permission from the Defence Ministry for starting the job is awaited.
- Reviewing the Majerhat – Mominpur – Esplanade Metro work, the General Manager expressed his satisfaction and advised all to complete all the pending works within the deadline.
About Kolkata Metro:
- Metro Railway, Kolkata is the first underground Metro in India. It extends from Dakshineswar to Kavi Subhash Metro station near Garia, on the busy North-South axis of Kolkata over a length of 31.365 Kms. with 26 Stations & 15.70 Kms. of underground section.
- Based on traffic studies, the Dum Dum – Tollygunge corridor was first selected for implementation and work started on 29th December, 1972. The first metro line in India was completed on 24th October 1984, a stretch of about 3.4 km between Esplanade and Bhowanipur (Netaji Bhavan), thrown open for the Public.
- The Metro Railway, Kolkata was constructed progressively from 1972 to 2021. In Phase-I, a length of 16.45 Kms from Dum Dum to Tollygunge (Mahanayak Uttam Kumar) completed in 1995 and in Phase-II a length of 5.834 Kms from Mahanayak Uttam Kumar to Kavi Nazrul Metro station is completed in August, 2009.
- In October 2010, Metro services further extended up to Kavi Subhash, a length of 2.851 Kms. It further extended Dum Dum to Noapara, a length of 2.091 Kms, on 10th July 2013. The last leg was opened on 23rd February 2021 for commercial operation from Noapara to Dakshineswar (4.139 Kms).
- It extended in the East-West axis from Salt Lake Sector-V to Salt Lake Stadium, covering a length of 5.3 kms with 6 stations on 13th February 2020 and further extended from Salt Lake Stadium to Phoolbagan on 4th October 2020 (1.67 kms). It is further extended from Phoolbagan to Sealdah (2.33 kms) on 11th July 2022.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro