The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to build Light Metro and Tram Corridors in Visakhapatnam. The government has also ordered for preparing the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the project. It has also decided to extend the length of the Metro Rail up to 79.91 km, in the first phase.
- The Light Metro corridor will be developed from the Vizag Steel Plant to the Bhogapuram airport.
- The tram corridors are proposed to connect RK beach, Bheemili beach, Pendurthi, Steel Plant, etc.
- In all, these Light Metro and Tram Corridors will be developed for a length of 140 kilometres.
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Jagan Reddy has vowed to develop Vizag to put it on par with Hyderabad.
- Earlier, the first phase of the metro rail in Visakhapatnam was scheduled to be taken up in three corridors for a length of 46.4 km.
- Now, the corridor proposed from Gajuwaka to Kommadi, will be extended to the upcoming Bhogapuram Airport, from 34.23 km to 67.74 km.
- The other corridors are Gurudwara to the Old Post Office (5.26 km) and Thatichetlapalem to the Rama Krishna Beach Road (6.91 km).
- As part of the second phase of the metro rail project, a 60 km-long trackless tram line has been proposed.