Metro Neo is an innovative transport system, which will be implemented for the first time in India in Nasik by Maha Metro. The detailed project report (DPR) of Nasik Metro Neo, prepared by Maha Metro, is awaiting clearance from the Union Cabinet.
- When work on Phase-II of Nagpur Metro starts, Maha Metro will start preparing the DPR of Phase-III.
- This phase will be along the Inner Ring Road.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA) wants Maha Metro to use Metro Neo technology for the third phase as the ridership will be lower than Phase-I and Phase-II.
- Metro Neo is an articulated / bi-articulated trolley bus system with overhead electric traction.
- The buses will be air conditioned with automatic door closing system, level boarding, comfortable seats, passenger announcement and information system with electronic display.
- They run on elevated or at grade cement roads instead of standard gauge railway tracks like traditional metros.
- It is a state-of-art, comfortable, energy efficient, minimal noise pollution and environment friendly system.
- It has been designed to negotiate sharp curves and steep gradients with minimal requirement of rehabilitation.
- The system can be upgraded to light metro with incremental cost input in future as per traffic demand.
- Nasik Metro is an innovative and pioneering project in India and will be the first MRTS to run on rubber tyres.
- Government of India on 21.08.2019 constituted a committee, under chairmanship of Dr Brijesh Dixit, MD of Maha Metro, for standardization of detailed specifications for a Rubber-Tyred Mass Rapid Transportation System with a view to implement it across India.
- AC electric coaches (carrying capacity of 180/240 passengers) powered by over-head 600-750 V DC power supply will ply in Nasik.
- Kakatiya Urban Development Authority (KUDA) had asked Maha Metro to prepare the DPR of Warangal Metro.
- Maha Metro recommended the use of Metro Neo technology and prepared the DPR accordingly.
- It saved Rs 2,000 crore of KUDA and made Warangal Metro feasible.
- KUDA has submitted the report to Telangana Government, which will forward it to the Central Government after vetting it.
Source: Maha Metro-Update