The Ministry of Railways has approved works for installation of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Cameras in all train coaches including EMUs and passenger trains. CCTV Cameras have already been provided in 4141 coaches. Train type-wise & Zone wise details are appended.
- Policing on Railways being a State subject, prevention of crime, registration of cases, their investigation and maintenance of law & order in Railway premises as well as on running trains are the statutory responsibility of the State Government, which they discharge through Government Railway Police (GRP)/District Police.
- Cases of Indian Penal Code (IPC) crime are registered and investigated by the concerned Government Railway Police.
- The areas and routes prone to crime related to passengers are dynamic in nature and keeps on changing.
- Based on regular analysis, such vulnerable areas/routes are identified and effective preventive measures are taken to control crime over such spots.
- Further, State Level Security Committee of Railways (SLSCR) have been constituted for all States/Union Territories under the Chairmanship of respective Director General of Police/Commissioner of States/Union Territories for regular monitoring and review of security arrangements of the Railways.
List of CCTV Cameras in Coaches:
|Zonal Railways||Train- 18 Type||LHB||ICF||MEMU||EMU||DEMU/DMU||Others||Total|
|(I)||(II)||(III)||(IV)||(V)||(VI)||(VII)||(I) to (VII)|
|South East Central||32||72||2||106|
Video Surveillance System:
Meanwhile, Indian Railways have approved works for provision of Video Surveillance System at all stations except halt stations.
- This includes the provision of Integrated Enquiry Response Management System (IERMS) at 983 stations under Nirbhaya Fund to enhance safety of women passenger.
- So far, CCTV Cameras have been installed at total 814 stations.
- Provision of CCTV cameras is part of the Video Surveillance System (VSS). In order to expedite the work, the work for provision of Video Surveillance System (VSS) at stations has been divided between some zonal Railways and RailTel Corporation of India, a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under Ministry of Railways.
This information was given by the Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronic & Information Technology, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha on 4th Aug 2021.
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR