Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC) achieved its 38th breakthrough at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) Metro Station. Robbins made TBM Surya-1 completed its final upline drive of 557 meters from Hutatma Chowkto CSMT Metro Station in 149 days using 405 concrete rings.
- With this 5.8-km long tunnel from Cuffe Parade to CSMT Metro Station is complete and the entire tunnelling scope of package-1 is acadcomplished.
- “We are pleased to announce 100% completion of tunneling work in 6 out of 7 contract packages covering the entire 33.5 km stretch. Package-1 completed this demanding task ensuring safety of the historical buildings in the heritage precinct. Our team of contractors, experts, engineers and workers completed this challenging work efficiently.” said Mr. Ranjit Singh Deol, Managing Director, MMRC.
- Package-1 includes Cuffe Parade, Vidhan Bhavan, Churchgate and Hutatma Chowk Metro stations.
- It has now witnessed total 8 breakthroughs:-
- Cuffe Parade to Vidhan Bhavan (Upline– 1228m and Downline–1254m)
- Vidhan Bhavan to Churchgate (Upline–498m and Downline– 481m)
- Churchgate to Hutatma Chowk (Upline–654m)
- Hutatma Chowk to CSMT (Upline-557m and Downline–569m)
- The overall tunnelling completed on the project is 52-km which is approximately 96% of the total project.
About the project:
- Mumbai Metro Line-3 (MML-3) is one of such key projects to improve the transportation scenario in the financial capital of India i.e. Mumbai. MML-3 project – a 33.5 Km. long corridor running along Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ, envisages to decongest the traffic situation in Greater Mumbai.
- Upon completion, this fully underground corridor with 27 stations would connect Six business districts, 30 educational institutes, 30 recreational facilities and domestic as well as international airport terminals.
- It will have five interchange points for suburban railway and one each for Monorail and ‘Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar’ Metro-1.
- Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) is the nodal agency responsible for the implementation of Mumbai Metro Line-3(MML-3) project.
- It has been constituted as a JV of the Govt. of India(GOI) and the Government of Maharashtra(GOM) on a 50:50 sharing basis.
Source: MMRC-Press Release | Image credit (representational): MMRC