The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) hosted many private developers at a workshop on last mile connectivity for Metro Line 2A and 7 which was held on 03.03.2020. Metro Line 2A and 7 are in advanced stage of completion and both these lines are expected to be commissioned by the end of 2020.
- The workshop was organised to obtain feedback, ideas, queries and suggestions on providing connectivity and also decide on design, construction, O & M arrangement, terms and conditions, and other modalities.
- Similar workshops would be organised in future for other Metro lines as and when they near completion status.
- Direct access to malls and commercial complexes would be beneficial for people as well as developers, said Shri RA Rajeev, Metropolitan Commissioner, MMRDA.
- He added,”This will be a two-way communication as connection to a mall or commercial complex is always better than them coming down on roads. The point is to ensure convenience of commuters. It is for the betterment of the city that these public facilities are being made. The idea is to decongest the city by first and last mile connectivity.”
- MMRDA has planned a metro network of 14 lines of more than 337 km with more than 225 stations.
- A significant length of the metro network will be operational in next 3 to 4 years.