The National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) on Wednesday has awarded second civil contract to Larsen & Toubro (L&T) for Design and Construction of 88 km (Approx) of viaduct between Vadodara and Ahmedabad in Gujarat (C-6 package) including construction of elevated HSR station at Anand/Nadiad, for Mumbai – Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor (MAHSR).
- This order to construct the C6 Package of MAHSR comes on the heels of the earlier one for the C4 Package of the project, the biggest EPC contract awarded in the country to date, involving the construction of a 237.1 km stretch.
- The scope of the MAHSR – C6 package includes the construction of viaducts, one station, major river bridges, maintenance depots, and other auxiliary works.
- This particular package represents 17.2% of the total length, running elevated from the outskirts of Vadodara to the outskirts of Ahmedabad in the State of Gujarat with one station at Anand/Nadiad.
- With this, NHSRCL has already awarded civil contracts of 64% of total viaduct of Mumbai – Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor, which is 325 Km of 508 Km of total length of the corridor.
- It also includes five (5) HSR stations (Vapi, Billimora, Surat, Bharuch and Anand/Nadiad) out of 12 stations and Train depot at Surat (out of three Depots).
- These contracts will give a boost to Indian Steel and Cement industries and their allied supply chains.
- The MAHSR project is expected to create more than 90,000 direct and indirect job opportunities.
- The total cost of the awarded contracts is Rs. 32000 crs (approx.).
“This is yet another recognition of our capabilities to construct mega projects to speed and scale and we are grateful to the Government of India, Ministry of Railways, Indian Railway Board and NHSRCL for reposing faith in us to execute another huge package of this prestigious project,” said Mr S N Subrahmanyan, CEO & Managing Director, Larsen & Toubro. “The Bullet Train project is the first sure sign of our economy kick-starting again, certainly a huge shot in the arm for the Indian infrastructure sector and another opportunity to drive the Make in India and Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.”
- The approximately 508 km Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail project will cover 155.76 kms in the State of Maharashtra, 4.3 kms in the Union Territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and 348.04 kms in the State of Gujarat with 12 stations along the route.
- Upon completion, the High-Speed Rail will operate at a speed of 320 Kmph, covering the entire distance in approximately 2 hours with limited stops and in 3 hours with all stops.
Larsen & Toubro is an Indian multinational engaged in technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing and financial services with over USD 21 billion in revenue. It operates in over 30 countries worldwide. A strong, customer–focused approach and the constant quest for top-class quality have enabled L&T to attain and sustain leadership in its major lines of business for eight decades.
Source: NHSRCL-Press Release | Image credit (representational): NHSRCL