Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC) is only nine more breakthroughs away from achieving 100% tunnelling. The remaining nine breakthroughs will be achieved in package Nos.1, 3, 4 and 6 – the details of which are as indicated below:-
|Breakthrough||From – To||Breakthrough location||Line UP/DN||Total Length (meters)|
|33rd||Churchgate to Hutatma chowk||Hutatma chowk||Upline||649|
|34th||Siddhivinayak to Dadar||Dadar||Downline||1126|
|35th||Sahar Road to CSMIA Domestic||CSMIA Domestic U||Upline||1516|
|36th||Hutatma chowk to CSMT||CSMT||Upline||551|
|37th||Churchgate to CSMT||CSMT||Downline||1233|
|38th||Science museum to Mahalaxmi||Mahalaxmi||Upline||1118|
|39th||Science museum to Mahalaxmi||Mahalaxmi||Downline||1136|
|40th||Mahalaxmi to Mumbai Central||Mumbai Central||Upline||837|
|41th||Mahalaxmi to Mumbai Central||Mumbai Central||Downline||830|
MMRC has, until today, achieved 32 breakthroughs in Package Nos.2 ,5 and 7 – a length of about 48-km out of the total length of 54.5-km.
“Tunnelling in Mumbai is extremely challenging as the alignment passes through densely populated and congested parts of the city. In addition, there are high-rise, heritage and dilapidated buildings; flyovers, metro viaducts and railway lines in close proximity. Entire alignment passes through rocky strata. To achieve this task 17 TBMs were working simultaneously at one stage”, said Mr. Subodh Gupta, Director (Projects), MMRC.
On Monday, MMRC achieved 32nd breakthrough of 1.10-km long tunnel from Siddhivinayak north shaft to Dadar Metro Station in the presence of Mr. Ashutosh Kumbhakoni, Advocate General of Maharashtra. He said, “I appreciate that a monumental task is being completed while causing as little inconvenience to the public as possible. This line will be an important addition to the public transport infrastructure and a boon to Mumbaikars”.
- The Herrenknecht made Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) Krishna-2, equipped with Earth Pressure Balance technology, was lowered on December 16, 2019.
- The TBM has completed the upline stretch in 295 days using 791 rings.
- The overall progress of Dadar Metro Station is 61%.
- Package-4, which consists of Dadar, Siddhivinayak and Sitladevi Metro Stations, showcases overall 94% tunneling progress and 95% of the excavation work.
- The total tunneling of the project completed is 87% and civil work is 60% as on 5th Oct, 2020.
Source: MMRC-Press Release | Image Credit: MMRC