Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC), achieved its 39th breakthrough at Mahalaxmi Metro Station on the Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 corridor. Robbins made TBM Tansa-2 completed its upline drive of 1117.5 meters from Science Museum Metro Station to Mahalaxmi Metro Station in 257 days using 745 concrete rings.
“This was indeed a challenging task as this particular stretch encompasses tunnelling below the buildings that are more than 80 years old and live western railway track between Mahalaxmi and Lower Parel Station. Our team has accomplished this tough task efficiently”, said Mr. Ranjit Singh Deol, Managing Director, MMRC.
- Package-3, which includes Mumbai Central, Mahalaxmi, Science Museum, Acharya Atre Chowk and Worli Metro stations, is the longest stretch of the corridor and has now witnessed total three breakthroughs – (Science Museum to Worli) (Upline–2072m and Downline–2057m) and (Science Museum to Mahalaxmi) (Upline–1117.5m).
- The overall tunnelling completed on the corridor is 52.6-km which is approximately 96.5% of the total project.
Installation of first Escalator at MIDC Station:
First Escalator for the underground Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 corridor has arrived at the MIDC station and Three more Escalators are under dispatch.
- These prototype Escalators (2 each for MIDC and Siddhivinayak metro stations) will undergo due testing and based on their approvals bulk supply will take place.
- In all, 414 Escalators for Metro-3 corridors will be manufactured, supplied and provided by M/s. Yuanda Royal Consortium and M/s. SJEC Johnson Consortium.
- These heavy-duty dual speed Escalators with regenerative energy saving mode will enhance the commuting experience of the passengers by facilitating their smooth movement with greater ease at these underground stations, both from entry/exit points at ground level to concourse level and from concourse level to platform level.
- Installation of the escalator at MIDC Metro Station has already begun.
About the project:
- Mumbai Metro Line-3 (MML-3) is one of such key projects to improve the transportation scenario in the financial capital of India i.e. Mumbai. MML-3 project – a 33.5 Km. long corridor running along Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ, envisages to decongest the traffic situation in Greater Mumbai.
- Upon completion, this fully underground corridor with 27 stations would connect Six business districts, 30 educational institutes, 30 recreational facilities and domestic as well as international airport terminals.
- It will have five interchange points for suburban railway and one each for Monorail and ‘Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar’ Metro-1.
- Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) is the nodal agency responsible for the implementation of Mumbai Metro Line-3(MML-3) project.
- It has been constituted as a JV of the Govt. of India(GOI) and the Government of Maharashtra(GOM) on a 50:50 sharing basis.
Source: MMRC-Press Release