Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC), on February 12, 2021 achieved its 36th breakthrough at CSMIA T1 Metro Station in presence of Mr. Alkesh Kumar Sharma, Managing Director, Kochi Metro Rail Ltd. (KMRL).
- With this 1.5-km long tunnel from Sahar Road Metro Station to CSMIA T1 is completed.
- At the same time the package-6 has completed its entire tunnelling of 4.4-km with the help of two TBMs – Tapi-1 and Tapi-2.
“MMRC has achieved an important milestone of 100% tunnelling in package-6. Two of the stations in this package are at the domestic and international terminals. Both these stations will be linked by dedicated connections to airport terminals for seamless connectivity for flyers”, said Mr. Ranjit Singh Deol, Managing Director, MMRC.
“Two Terratec make Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) Tapi-1 and 2, equipped with capabilities of working in Hard Rock conditions, have completed the stretch in 15 months. The overall progress of CSMIA T1 Metro Station is around 76.4%”, Mr. S.K. Gupta, Director (Projects), MMRC, provided further details.
- Package-6 which includes CSMIA T1, T2 and Sahar Road Metro stations, witnessed 4 breakthroughs (CSMIA T2 to Sahar Road (Upline – 687m and downline – 692m), (Sahar Road to CSMIA T1 (Upline – 1515m and downline – 1512m).
- Overall tunnelling completed on the project is 50.3km which is 93% of the total project.
About the project:
- Mumbai Metro Line-3 (MML-3) is one of such key projects to improve the transportation scenario in the financial capital of India i.e. Mumbai. MML-3 project – a 33.5 Km. long corridor running along Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ, envisages to decongest the traffic situation in Greater Mumbai.
- Upon completion, this fully underground corridor with 27 stations would connect Six business districts, 30 educational institutes, 30 recreational facilities and domestic as well as international airport terminals.
- It will have five interchange points for suburban railway and one each for Monorail and ‘Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar’ Metro-1.
- Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) is the nodal agency responsible for the implementation of Mumbai Metro Line-3(MML-3) project.
- It has been constituted as a JV of the Govt. of India(GOI) and the Government of Maharashtra(GOM) on 50:50 sharing basis.
Source: MMRC-Press Release