In continuation to the tender for Consultancy services for Geotechnical Investigations for provision of 4th line between Kalyan-Asangaon, the Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation (MRVC) Ltd has now invited sealed Tenders from eligible Bidders for Construction of Three tunnels by NATM with Ballastless Track in Panvel – Karjat Section in connection with Panvel – Karjat double line Suburban Corridor Project of Mumbai Division of Central Railway in the State of Maharashtra with stipulated completion period of 36 Months.
- Tender Reference Number: MRVC/W/110
- Tender Title: Construction of Three tunnels by NATM with Ballastless Track in Panvel – Karjat Section in connection with Panvel – Karjat double line Suburban Corridor Project of Mumbai Division of Central Railway in the State of Maharashtra.
- Document Download Start Date: 08-04-2021
- Document Download End Date: 28-05-2021
Tender Submission Start Date: 08-04-2021
- Tender Submission End Date: 28-05-2021
- Tender Bid Open Date: 28-05-2021
About the project:
- The Government of India has received financing from the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) toward the cost of the Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III (MUTP-III), and intends to apply part of the proceeds toward payments under the contract for Construction of Three tunnels by NATM with Ballastless Track in Panvel – Karjat Section in connection with Panvel – Karjat double line Suburban Corridor Project of Mumbai Division of Central Railway in the State of Maharashtra
- Bidding will be conducted through International open Competitive Tender (IoCT) using Request for Tenders (RFT) as specified in the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)’s “Procurement Policy of January 2016” and “Interim Operational Directive on Procurement Instructions for Receipts, June 2016”,, and is open to all eligible Bidders as defined in the Procurement Regulations.
What is NATM?
- New Austrian Tunnelling Method (NATM) was developed by the Austrians Ladislaus von Rabcewicz, Leopold Müllerand Franz Pacher in the 1950s.
- The name was introduced in 1962 (Rabcewicz, 1963) to distinguish it from the “Austrian Tunnelling Method”, today referred to as the “Old Austrian Tunnelling Method”.
- It is one of the most popular observational methods of tunnelling.
- The method has often been mentioned as “value engineered version of tunneling”, due to its use of light supports.
- It has long been understood that the ground,if allowed to deform slightly, is capable of contributing to its own support.
- The NATM, with its use of modern means of monitoring and surface stabilization, such as shotcrete and rock bolts, utilizes this effect systematically.
- The main idea is to use the geological stress of the surrounding rock mass to stabilize the tunnel itself.
The construction process in NATM is normally as follows:
- Excavation: The tunnel advance can be achieved using blasting, a partial face boring machine or simply using an excavator,depending on the ground conditions. Generally,the advancement is spatially and timely staggered in the heading, benching and invert.
- Sealing the exposed ground if necessary.
- Installation of lattice girders or mesh reinforcement, and application of shotcrete.Depending on the quality of the ground the support might be installed first before thespoil is removed.
- Potential installation of a second layer of reinforcement and application of shotcrete.
- Installation of anchors.
- Construction of inner/secondary lining.
Benefits expected after completion of MUTP III:
- Additional 63.5 Kms of track will be constructed.
- 565 new Air Conditioned Coaches will be procured.
- Creation of additional capacities by introducing new Suburban Corridors.
- New Suburban Corridors will lead to development of new CBDs.
- Reduction in fatalities due to Trespassing & falling of passengers from train.
- Seamless travelling for longer distance suburban passengers by extending & creating corridors.
Bid document is also available on the official website of MRVC https://mrvc.indianrailways.gov.in/.
Source: MRVC-Tender | Image Credit (representational): MoR
What is the criteria for tendency of tender.please let me know with details.