The balanced cantilever over railway line near Anand Talkies, Sitabuldi, is nearing completion with work over the railway line over. Now only the ends are left and railway blocks are not required for completing them. The cantilever is part of Reach IV (Sitabuldi to Prajapati Nagar) of Nagpur Metro between Sitabuldi and Cotton Market stations.
- Balanced cantilever bridge is also popularly known as cantilever construction bridge (CLC Bridge).
- The basic principle behind this method is to attach the segment in an alternate manner at opposite ends of the cantilever supported by piers.
- The segments are cast using the form traveller.
- The cantilever near Anand Talkies has a length of 231.2 metre.
Sitabuldi-Zero Mile-Kasturchand Park Metro route:
Meanwhile, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari has expressed confidence that the Sitabuldi-Zero Mile-Kasturchand Park corridor established by Mahametro in Nagpur as well as the Freedom Park will add to the splendor of Nagpur.
- Addressing the inaugural function of the 1.6 km long Sitabuldi-Zero Mile-Kasturchand Park route of Maha Metro Nagpur in the city on 20.08.2021, he said: “A lot of world-class infrastructure is being built in Nagpur. For the first time in our country, a two-tier metro has been set up”.
- The route was inaugurated at the Zero Mile point, by Chief Minister of Maharashtra Uddhav Thackeray, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari and Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri.
- The Chief Minister, along with the Union Ministers, virtually flagged off the first metro train running on this route.
Underpass connecting Zero Mile Station and Cotton Market to come up:
- Union Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari promised funds from Central Roads Fund for an underpass to reach Zero Mile Station from Cotton Market without any hindrance of traffic signals.
- He also said that MahaMetro has helped a lot in beautification of Telangkhedi Lake and flyover in Nagpur city. He also informed that the proposal for Metro Phase II has been sent to the Union Cabinet for approval.
“The work of Nagpur-Mumbai Samruddhi Highway has been started by the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways along with Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation. All the funds required by the state will be provided by the Central Government.”
- Gadkari also promised to provide an additional Rs. 1 lakh crore for the development of Mumbai-Thane cities in the proposed meeting in Mumbai.
- The Nagpur Metro Rail project was approved on August 21, 2014 and its foundation stone was laid by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the same day.
- My Metro in Nagpur is a Green Metro; 65% of its total energy need is met from solar energy.
- It also recycles 100% water used by it and is also equipped for harvesting rainwater.
- There are bio digesters at all stations.
- Metro receives more than 60% of its revenue from non-fair-box.
Nagpur Metro Project to be completed by December 2021:
- Union Minister for Urban Development and Petroleum Hardeep Singh Puri, who joined the event virtually, said that the project is capable of being a clean and sustainable project as Nagpur Metro uses green energy.
- He expressed confidence that the Nagpur Metro project would be completed by December 2021.
- Traditional Rajput-style architecture is used in designing Kasturchand Park.
- The facade of Kasturchand Park Metro Station and its architecture have been done on the same lines.
- Symbolic parts of Rajput architecture like umbrellas, arcs, Rajput nets, carved-on columns are shown at the metro station.
- This has created a unique structure in the city, said Shri Puri.
Historic importance of Zero Mile:
The Leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly and former Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, “Nagpur’s Zero Mile is a very historic place and the Great Trigonometry Survey was started by the British in 1907 from Zero Mile, Nagpur”.
- The 1.6 km long Sitabuldi-Kasturchand Park line will start operations from today, which will enhance the public transport system and connect the most congested areas. The road connects the Vidhan Bhavan, Reserve Bank of India, Central Museum, Sanvidhan Chowk and Morris College in Nagpur.
- The Zero Mile Freedom Park Metro Station, a masterpiece of architecture in Nagpur, will be the first of its kind in the country to be part of a magnificent 20-storey building with a metro train occupying the fourth floor.
- The inauguration of the 40,000-square-feet Freedom Park around the Zero Mile station also took place today, marking the 75th anniversary of the country’s independence.
- The station is now called Zero Mile Freedom Park Station. It has unique concepts like Public Plaza and History Wall.
- The T-55 tank used in the war has also been installed here for Nagpurites to see. Inside Freedom Park is the Amphitheater on the left.
- The history Wall here stretches up to Shahid Smarak (Martyrs’ memorial).
Source: Nagpur Metro-Update | Image Credit (representational): Nagpur Metro