Share with your network
The state of Tamil Nadu is witnessing a new era in rail development with various infrastructural projects like Doubling, tripling, Gauge conversion and electrification being executed at a faster pace. The annual budgetary outlay for Railways in the state of Tamil Nadu for the financial year 2022-23 is Rs.3865 crores.
- In comparison to the annual outlay of FY 2014-15, the outlay of the current financial year 2022-23 has increased four-fold. There is also an increase in the current financial year’s outlay by 67% when compared with the average outlay for the last eight years, i.e. 2014 to 2022.
- The following infrastructural projects were completed and commissioned in the state of Tamil Nadu in the last 8 years (since 2014).
- 400 Km of Gauge conversion projects have been completed and commissioned in Tamil Nadu during the 8 year period from 2014-2022.
- This includes the Gauge conversion of Palani – Pollachi – Palakkad Town (116.66 Km), Sengottai-New Aryankavu (19.11 Km), Pollachi-Podanur (39.79 Km), Thiruvarur–Tiruturaipundi- Pattukottai- Karaikkudi (149 Km) and Madurai – Teni (75 Km) sections.
Doubling/Tripling/Quadrupling of Tracks:
- A total of 639.22 Km of Doubling, Tripling & Quadrupling works have been completed in Tamil Nadu during the 8 year period from 2014-2022.
- Average Doubling/Tripling/Quadrupling of Railway lines completed during 2014-22 is 80 Kms.
The doubling projects completed during the 8-year period were:
|1||Kallakkudi Palaganantham – Ariyalur||24.5|
|2||Chengalpattu – Karunguzhi – Madurantakam||24.65|
|3||Tozhuppedu – Olakur – Tindivanam – Perani||40.2|
|4||Villupuram – Thiruvennainallur-Vriddhachalam-Mathur-Ariyalur||108.78|
|5||Tiruchchirappalli-Manapparai – Kalpattichatram- Tamaraipadi-Dindigul||90.17|
|7||Valadi-GoldenRock(18km), GoldenRock-Solagampatti(18.21km), Solagampatti-Thanjavur||29|
|9||Tirumangalam-Thulukkapatti-Kovilpatti-Kadambur-VanchiManiyachi-Gangaikondan-Tirunelveli & Kadambur-Thattaparai-Milavittan||129|
The tripling, quadrupling and other multi-tracking projects completed during the 8-year period were:
|1||Ponmalai-Tiruchchirappalli 3rd line||2.84|
|2||Tambaram-Chengalpattu 3rd line||30|
|3||Chennai Beach- Attipattu 4th line||22.1|
|4||Chennai Beach – Korukkupet 3rd line||4.2|
|5||5th and 6th lines between Chennai Central and Basin Bridge||4.4|
Fast Track Electrification:
- Electrification of railway lines paves the way for environmental- friendly transportation, cutting of energy costs besides facilitating seamless connectivity and faster travel. Indian Railways is marching ahead in its ambitious mission to achieve 100% electrification of the entire railway network by 2023.
- Taking Mission 2023 forward, Southern Railway has completed electrification of over 82% of its network so far. In the state of Tamil Nadu, 1664 route kilometers of railway tracks have been electrified during the 8-year period from 2014-2022. This is an increase of 170% when compared to the electrification projects completed during 2009-2014.
- The electrification projects completed during the 8 year period from 2014 to 2022 in Tamil Nadu were:
- Villupuram-Katpadi (150 km),
- Virudunagar-Tuticorin&Tirunelveli (145 km),
- Coimbatore North – Mettupalayam (33 km),
- Erode-Karur-Tiruchchirappalli (140km),
- Karur-Dindigul (71 km),
- Salem-Karur (83.45 km),
- Villupuram-CuddalorePortJn. (47.70km),
- Tiruchchirappalli-Thanjavur (45.14km),
- Arakkonam-TakkolamDetourline (11.29km),
- Thanjavur -Thiruvarur (54.06 km),
- CuddalorePort-Thiruvarur (114km),
- ThiruchchirappalliTown-GoldenRockbypass (2.07km),
- Thiruvarur – Nagore (31.87 km),
- Mayiladuturai -Thanjavur (68 km),
- Vriddhachalam-CuddalorePort (55.48km),
- Nidamangalam-Mannargudi (13.98km),
- Pollachi – Podanur (41.22 km),
- Madurai – Manamadurai (47.54 km),
- Salem-Attur-Vriddhachalam (136km),
- Manamadurai – Ramanathapuram (60.67 km),
- Tiruchchirappalli-Pudukottai-Karaikkudi (89.13km),
- Palani – Pollachi – Muthalamada (84.4 km)
- Manamadurai-Virudhunagar (63.22km).
- In line with the robust policies of Govt.of India, Railways focus on expeditious completion of infrastructural projects and electrification, marching ahead in its objective to attain self-sufficiency
Source: Southern Railway -Press Release | Image Credit (representational): Southern Railway
Be the first to comment