Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) newly-built 9,000 HP freight locomotive ( also known as High Horse Power Passenger locomotive ) has cleared the trial run conducted by the Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO). As per the Railway officials, its trial run was conducted over the Northern Railways network at a speed of 100 kmph.
CLW built 9000HP WAG-9HH electric loco(Loco no-90002) has successfully passed the oscillation and EBD trial by RDSO. RDSO has issued final speed certificate for operation of WAG-9HH class of loco ….more infohttps://t.co/aOYlvyfQis@SuPriyoBabul @SureshAngadi_ @makeinindia pic.twitter.com/BjUYFCMJiV
— CLW (@Clwrailindia) April 25, 2020
- The locomotive underwent its oscillation and performance trial from January 31 to to February 26, an official said.
- In the new locomotive, there has been an upgradation of power of WAP-7 and WAG-9 locomotive from 6,000 HP to 9,000 HP.
- This project has been under development to upgrade the existing 6000 HP WAG9H locos to 9000 HP to improve the hauling speeds of freight trains. It is a “Make in India” initiative which was started at CLW.
- Similarly, it has been decided necessary to upgrade existing WAP-7 locomotives from 6000 HP to 9000 HP to haul 24 coach trains at balancing speed upto 140 kmph.
- The new locomotive has better acceleration reserve at higher speed, and increased through-put.
- The official said that the 9,000 HP freight locomotive has increased line capacity and right powering of trains.
- In the FY 2019-20, the CLW has manufactured 431 locomotives, surpassing its own record of producing 402 in the FY 2018-19.
- The achievement has been recognised by the Limca Book of Records as a new world record.
Image Credit: CLW