Share with your network
Despite of major challenges, Northeast Frontier Railway has successfully completed a bolstering infrastructure by commissioning a new Road Over Bridge (ROB) at Mangal Bazar area in Katihar of Bihar.
- This bridge is the longest Bow String Girder ROB of Katihar division with 72 m span.
- The newly constructed ROB was inaugurated by Hon’ble Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Shri Tarkishore Prasad in presence of Shri Dulal Chandra Goswami, Hon’ble MP (Lok Sabha) on 28th January, 2022.
- This newly constructed ROB replaced the old and dilapidated ROB at Katihar (Mangal Bazar) which was constructed in 1964 and had outlived its life.
- It took 13.4 hours of engineering effort to launch it with minimal disruption to railway traffic.
- Due to its unique design and difficult location, this project was difficult to complete.
- The construction work of the two-lane ROB was started in the last month of 2019; but due to Corona pandemic the construction work of this bridge got interrupted.
- The construction work got speeded up again as soon as the outbreak of Corona subsided and could be dedicated to the general public at the earliest possible time.
- With commissioning of this bridge, smooth movement of both rail and road traffic on this route can be ensured.
- This bridge is also the lifeline of Katihar which connects East and West Katihar and connects the main market with different districts.
- This bridge can also be called the back bone of Katihar.
- So, not only the population of Katihar town but also the entire population of the Katihar district is going to benefit from this newly commissioned bridge.
- This newly built infrastructure is capable of carrying load of heavy vehicles.
- The bridge has capacity to easily bear 12 ton / axle load and it has also been tested for bearing 20 ton / axle load.
- Made of steel material in arched shape, this bridge is one of the finest bow-string girder bridges of Indian Railways.
- The approach of both its sides is about 250 meters – 140 meters and its width is 12.5 meters.
In another step towards providing better rail connectivity to N E Region, Alipurduar Division of N. F. Railway has started operation of goods train through the newly constructed New Coochbehar – Gauripur – Abhayapuri – Goalpara section, which is a part of the New Maynaguri – Jogighopa new line (226.83 km) project.
- A rake carrying 2652 tonnes of milk products, pulses, salt and plastic goods loaded from Linch, Gujarat has been transported to Azara near Guwahati through this route.
- Again on 19th January, 2022 a cement loaded rake for Guwahati carrying 2,579 tonnes of cement has been transported through this new route.
- CRS (Commissioner of Railway Safety) had earlier granted authorization for operations of trains through Bilasipara – Abhayapuri (47.65 kms) section with a maximum permissible speed of 90 kmph.
- By commissioning of a section from Bilasipara to Abhayapuri, train services can now run from Gauripur to Abhayapuri covering Dhubri and Bongaigaon districts of Assam.
- Newly commissioned Gauripur – Abhayapuri route will provide better connectivity and access to the people of this region in Northeast. Running of goods train in new BG section will also help in reducing congestion and faster movement of goods train in other congested section.
Source: North East Frontier Railway-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): MoR
Be the first to comment