The National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) has issued a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) to Consortium of M/s Overseas Min-Tech Consultant & M/s Fortress Infracon Limited for Carrying out Environmental Impact Assessment Study / Field Work and Preparation of Environment Impact Assessment Report & Environment Management Plan for Chennai-Mysore High Speed Rail Corridor (About 435 Kms Long).
- Contract Package No.: NHSRCL/CO/CA/EIA/2020/49
- Name of work: Carrying Out Environmental Impact Assessment Study / Field Work and Preparation of Environment Impact Assessment Report & Environment Management Plan for Chennai-Mysore High Speed Rail Corridor (About 435 Kms Long).
In February this year, the NHSRCL had invited online tender for the Contract Package No.: NHSRCL/CO/CA/EIA/2020/49.
- NHSRCL is in the process of preparation of Detailed Project Report for new High speed rail corridors and present assignment is for Chennai-Mysore High Speed corridor (approx. 435 kms) project.
- Alignment of the proposed corridor is generally planned within and/or along the Right of Way (ROW) of existing/planned Highway/Expressway and/or Railways land, keeping in view the speed and constructability requirements of the High-Speed Rail Project.
- Expected ROW of the main line (excluding facilities) will be approx. 17.5 m ± 5 m depending on project requirement.
Scope of Services:
The main tasks envisaged under this work includes:
- Environmental Impact Assessment Study and Preparation of Environment Impact Assessment Report and Environment Management & Monitoring Plan: This will broadly include: Carrying out necessary surveys/investigations and establishing a credible baseline for one complete season except monsoon; carrying out stakeholder consultations as per guidelines of MoEF&CC and World Bank; Assessment of impacts due to project; Preparation of commensurate management, monitoring, mitigation plans; Preparation of cost estimates (including rate analysis) and other inputs for the EMP following the guidelines of World Bank and; Ensure/facilitate appropriate disclosure of documents.
- Preparation of necessary documents, forms, applications, maps and studies as required for obtaining various applicable permissions required from ministries / authorities like Ministry of Forest, Ministry of Environment & climate Change, Wildlife Department, Specified Zones etc. including preparation of work flow chart with timelines, fee requirement by concerned authorities for each of the clearance required for project development.
- Collection of Primary and secondary data, and the extent to which it is to be collected on either side of the ROW shall be guided by relevant Government/funding agency guidelines or good industrial practices as accepted by concerned authorities, in case relevant Government/funding agency guidelines are not available.
- The number of samples for monitoring, data collection, study area and other parameters mentioned in the TOR are indicative, relevant Government/funding agency guidelines shall be applicable.
- Details of above main tasks are given below:
EIA Study and Preparation of EIA Report and Environment Management & Monitoring Plan:
- The Contractor shall carry out the environmental impacts assessment study to understand the environmental impacts due to this project and prepare and submit the EIA Report containing mitigation measures and environment management & monitoring plan along with costs in a manner consistent with guidelines & policy of World Bank/ADB/JICA and in line with the applicable laws & regulations of the Government of India and concerned State Governments.
Objective of Assignment:
- The overall objective of carrying out Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is to assist NHSRCL in:
- Identifying environment and social impacts
- Prepare commensurate management plans to mitigate the identified issues
- Ensure that the proposed works are designed and constructed in line with the regulations made by Govt. of India, State Governments and guidelines of the World Bank.
Upcoming High Speed Rail corridors:
Currently, the NHSRCL is constructing the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail corridor. Also, Railways has assigned the work for the preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the following seven new High Speed Rail (HSR) corridors to National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL):
- None of the above seven High Speed corridors is sanctioned as yet.
- The decision on sanctioning any HSR project depends on the outcome of the Detailed Project Report, techno-economic feasibility, availability of resources and financing options.
- The preparation of DPRs is still in progress and alignment/route for the corridors has yet not been finalised.
Recent Awarded contracts:
Recently, NHSRCL has also issued various Letter of Acceptances (LOAs) for carrying out works in connection to the preparation of Detailed Project Reports (DPRs) of these High Speed Rail projects.
- Project: Varanasi-Howrah High Speed Rail Corridor
- Contract Package No.: NHSRCL/CO/CA/EIA/2021/03
- Name of work: “Carrying Out Environmental Impact Assessment Study / Field Work and Preparation of Environment Impact Assessment Report & Environment Management Plan for Varanasi-Howrah High Speed Rail Corridor (About 760 Kms Long)”
- Winner: M/s Overseas Min-Tech Consultant & M/s Fortress Infracon Limited
- Project: Chennai-Mysore High Speed Rail Corridor
- Contract Package No.: NHSRCL/CO/CA/LIDAR/2020/48
- Name of work: Final Alignment design including Aerial LiDAR survey and other related works for Chennai-Mysore High Speed Rail Corridor (about 435 kms. long).
- Winner: M/s Aarvee-GSL Consortium
- Project: Mumbai-Hyderabad High Speed Rail Corridor
- Tender Ref No.: NHSRCL/CO/CA/SIA/2020/36
- Name of work: Conducting Survey / Field Work & Preparation of Detailed Social Impact Assessment (SIA) / Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for Mumbai-Hyderabad High Speed Rail Corridor (About 711 Kms Long).
- Winner: M/s Egis India Consulting Engineers Pvt. Ltd. & M/s J S Environics Consultants Pvt Ltd Consortium
- Project: Delhi-Amritsar High Speed Rail Corridor
- Contract Package No: NHSRCL/CO/CA/EIA/2020/46
- Name of work: Carrying Out Environmental Impact Assessment Study / Field Work and Preparation of Environment Impact Assessment Report & Environment Management Plan for Delhi-Amritsar High Speed Rail Corridor (About 459 Kms Long).
- Winner: M/s Enviro Infra Solutions Pvt. Ltd. in JV with R S Enviro Link Technologies Pvt. Ltd
Source: NHSRCL-Tender update | Image Credit (representational): NHSRCL