Share with your network
Maha Metro Managing Director Dr Brijesh Dixit showcased Metro Neo technology, which will be soon implemented in Nasik by Maha Metro, at World Expo Dubai, 2021. Similarly, the multi-modal integration (MMI) of Nagpur & Pune Metro, which received a national award recently, was also highlighted.
- Dr Dixit gave a presentation on Metro Neo, which has been designed by Maha Metro.
- He described it as an innovative and cost-effective mass transport solution for Tier-2 and Tier-3 Indian cities.
- It runs on dedicated right of way and is eco-friendly and smart, he said.
- He was participating in a panel discussion on ‘Smart and Sustainable Transportation; Focus on Urban Transport Systems’ in theDubai Expo.
- Discussion moderator Dr O P Agrawal said that this model will be of great help to other cities in the world.
- Dr Dixit said that when India had become independent in 1947, trams were the most important mode of public transport in cities.
- The first development in this field took place when the government started constructing an underground metro in Kolkata.
- However, such costly solutions are infeasible in smaller cities and hence Maha Metro developed Metro Neo, he added.
About the Nasik Metro Neo Project:
- The 33 km Nasik Metro Neo Project has 2 elevated corridors.
- It was announced in the Union Budget of 2021.
- It is scheduled to be completed in 4 years.
- Total project cost is Rs 2,092.6 crore.
- Metro Neo is an innovative public transport system, which is seamless, fast, reliable and cost effective.
- It will provide travel experience of international standards at par with Metro systems.
- It is being implemented for the first time in India at Nasik.
- Construction of metros is a recent phenomenon in India and it is basically an infrastructure for people.
- The main challenge is how to connect the metro to people.
- The only way this can be done is through other modes of transport, which has been done by Nagpur Metro, said Dr Dixit speaking on Nagpur Metro’s MMI.
- The moderator Dr Agrawal praised Dr Dixit for bagging the national award for best metro feeder service.
- He said that Nagpur Metro has created a model feeder service and soon will be implemented in Pune, which should be emulated by other metros.
- Dr Dixit further said that metro feeder service in India can be provided through e-scooters, e-auto rickshaws, e-rickshaws, battery operated mini-vans, bicycles and through rescheduled city buses.
- At Pune Metro, we have signed memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with private operators PMPML for this purpose.
Source: Pune Metro-Press Release
Be the first to comment