Maha Metro Managing Director Dr Brijesh Dixit showcased Metro Neo technology, which will be soon implemented in Nasik by Maha Metro, at World Expo Dubai, 2021. Similarly, the multi-modal integration (MMI) of Nagpur & Pune Metro, which received a national award recently, was also highlighted.
- Dr Dixit gave a presentation on Metro Neo, which has been designed by Maha Metro.
- He described it as an innovative and cost-effective mass transport solution for Tier-2 and Tier-3 Indian cities.
- It runs on dedicated right of way and is eco-friendly and smart, he said.
- He was participating in a panel discussion on ‘Smart and Sustainable Transportation; Focus on Urban Transport Systems’ in theDubai Expo.
- Discussion moderator Dr O P Agrawal said that this model will be of great help to other cities in the world.
- Dr Dixit said that when India had become independent in 1947, trams were the most important mode of public transport in cities.
- The first development in this field took place when the government started constructing an underground metro in Kolkata.
- However, such costly solutions are infeasible in smaller cities and hence Maha Metro developed Metro Neo, he added.
About the Nasik Metro Neo Project:
- The 33 km Nasik Metro Neo Project has 2 elevated corridors.
- It was announced in the Union Budget of 2021.
- It is scheduled to be completed in 4 years.
- Total project cost is Rs 2,092.6 crore.
- Metro Neo is an innovative public transport system, which is seamless, fast, reliable and cost effective.
- It will provide travel experience of international standards at par with Metro systems.
- It is being implemented for the first time in India at Nasik.
- Construction of metros is a recent phenomenon in India and it is basically an infrastructure for people.
- The main challenge is how to connect the metro to people.
- The only way this can be done is through other modes of transport, which has been done by Nagpur Metro, said Dr Dixit speaking on Nagpur Metro’s MMI.
- The moderator Dr Agrawal praised Dr Dixit for bagging the national award for best metro feeder service.
- He said that Nagpur Metro has created a model feeder service and soon will be implemented in Pune, which should be emulated by other metros.
- Dr Dixit further said that metro feeder service in India can be provided through e-scooters, e-auto rickshaws, e-rickshaws, battery operated mini-vans, bicycles and through rescheduled city buses.
- At Pune Metro, we have signed memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with private operators PMPML for this purpose.
Source: Pune Metro-Press Release