Recently, Pune metro was inaugurated for commercial operations. The coaches in the project have the capacity for 970 passengers and each coach can accommodate 320 commuters and are equipped with the state-of-art facilities including space to park a wheelchair for the differently abled people.
Titagarh Wagons Limited had been awarded the order for 34 Metro Trains having 3 coaches each by the Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation for Pune. While the first Metro Train manufactured by Titagarh at the facilities of its subsidiary in Italy, 31 trains will be produced in India by Titagarh in its facilities under the Make in India and Atmanirbhar Bharat schemes of the Government.
- The Pune Metro Coaches are light, ergonomically and aerodynamically designed being made of Aluminium body and include features like CCTV coverage, emergency button, passengers can communicate with driver/operator and travel seamlessly, have mobile and laptop charging facility etc.
- The Metro Train apart from being light is energy efficient and fit for a maximum speed of 95 kmph.
- The successful launch of the first Pune Train along the 12 Km stretch out of a total 32.2 Km project is a historic milestone in the Indian Government’s initiative of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
Commenting on the development, Mr. Umesh Chowdhary, Managing Director and CEO of the Company thanked the visionary leadership of the Honourable Prime Minister in giving such a boost to infrastructure development in the country which will make the lives and livelihoods of millions of people much better.
He further expressed his gratitude to the government led by the Honourable Prime Minister to encourage Indian companies come into the sphere of hi-tech manufacturing and constantly pursuing his vision of making India Atmanirbhar.
He said that the launch of first Pune Metro Train is one of the most important events in the journey of Titagarh along the path of its mission- “Mobility for billions”.
About Titagarh’s experience in metro sector:
- Titagarh has made significant strides in Passenger Rolling Stock manufacturing and expanded its facilities in Uttarpara, West Bengal and the first train from this facility will be rolled out in a few days.
- This is a state of the art facility for production of sophisticated light body aluminium Metro Coaches.
- The Group is participating in various other tenders for Metro Coaches in India in addition to the focus on Propulsion vertical.
- The Italian subsidiary of Titagarh had also bagged a prestigious order from Lazio Region (Rome) in Italy for 287 million Euros recently and the execution of this contract will also be done partially from Titagarh’s Indian facilities.
Source: Titagarh Wagons Limited- Press Release | Image Credit: Titagarh